(Closed) 1.5 year engagement?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 47
1983 posts
Buzzing bee

I had a 7 month engagement. But I always thought I was weird because I had always heard of more people have 1 to 2 year engagements…

Post # 48
766 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Fiance and I are doing a two year engagement. When people were asking us about our wedding plans and we told them that we were doing an engagement that long, I heard things like “I don’t think long engagements work.” “Why did he even propose if you’re waiting so long?” “Why so long?” It notoriously infuriated me. I personally don’t see anything wrong with a longer engagement- we chose to do it that way not because of doubts about our relationship, but because I wanted to finish my master’s degree and didn’t want to sacrifice academics for planning and vice versa. The people who make comments like the ones you’ve been hearing are rude, but unfortunately they happen a lot when you are planning on having a long engagement. 

Post # 49
576 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I don’t think that’s anything outside the norm!

We’re having a 3 YEAR engagement, which certainly seems daunting but it actually wasn’t planned that way, we were planning for about 2 years and pushed it out a bit further for a number of reasons, chief among them being that we would be living on different continents for a year of that.

People certainly questioned it in all sorts of ways– whether we got engaged to soon or aren’t getting married soon enough, whether long distance could ever possibly work (I’m back from my year in France and we’re doing great, so it was certainly hard but it worked for us!) and whatever else– because people always question things. I had to just decide not to care.

I have LOVED my long engagement. It has allowed me to really relax and enjoy this exciting time, and planning has been very stress-free for me! We have about 1.5 years to go and I feel like it’s flying by….when it’s less than a year I’m going to feel like the wedding is really “soon” and it’s crunch time!

Post # 50
2868 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

We were engaged for a year and a half and it was the perfect length, I think.  Gave us plenty of time to plan without too much stress (and for me to finish my master’s degree) but wasn’t so long that it felt like forever.  It actually went by really quickly.  From what I’ve seen on the bee, that’s actually not a “long” engagement, don’t worry 🙂

Post # 51
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Mine was 13 months long. No problem at all, Id wish i would have had a year and half too b/c its hard to come up with large amounts of money at one time so quick. Plus we had a large engagement party and it took up some extra money too. 

The topic ‘1.5 year engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors