(Closed) Tulips — $1500 or $500?

posted 6 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I think the word “wedding” changes everything.  I also think the florist had a much better attitude.  I agree that “experts” should make suggestions; however, if that is what you want, that is what you want.

By the way I think it is beautiful 🙂

Post # 5
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Expect me to educate you!? Wow. That threw me off a bit! It’s not like you’re asking for carnations! Definitely shop around. I’m sure there are a variety of tulips, so maybe that’s the pricing difference?…

Post # 8
454 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Oooh that’s really pretty! I think it’s classy and elegant. That person was crazy! 

Post # 9
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I am ordering my own tulips online, 200 cost close to $200 is all. If you choose to go with the florist be sure to ask if they will wire all the tulips, that could be why the cost was so high at the other place. Tulips can droop quickly and if you want them to stay straight you have to wire them from what I have researched. Of course I have had tulips from Wal-Mart that have lasted a week and a half in a vase on the table with no drooping.

Post # 11
4355 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Ya.. my thought was spending roughly $1000 on flowers, which I think is LOTS! So far, I haven’t received a quote under $2900. The reason? “The flowers you want are exotic” I never once asked any florist so far for a specific kind of flower. Just that they be dark purple and green. They are just taking upon themselves to pick the most exotic purple flowers when making their quote.

This is my LEAST favorite part of the wedding thus far and I’m already looking to cut out flowers anywhere possible.

Post # 12
7693 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

@MrsLulu:  I found out if you place a penny in the vase, the tulips will stand more upright.  I tried it before, it works.  If I remember correctly just put a penny in the night before.  😉

Post # 15
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I want just tulips as well and they gave me some outrageous prices.. they claim its hard to work with tulips so Im just going to DIY I will order bulk tulips and put them together

Post # 16
778 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

For the record, I think simple white tulips sound absolutely lovely. I suspect the mean florist’s quote had more to do with her lousy ‘tude (sub $1500 orders not being worth her time or something) than with the quality of the flowers. She clearly considers herself to have quite a reputation to keep up–maybe she feels that if word got out that she did a job under $1k it would negatively affect her ‘brand’?

The topic ‘Tulips — $1500 or $500?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors