(Closed) 15/16 year olds trick or treating and NO costume… too old?

posted 6 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
750 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

My only concern with that would’ve been later finding eggs on my car or toilet paper in my tree…but I think what you said was okay. I just wouldn’t want to risk anything, so I’d probably just give them candy…

Post # 4
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

No way! You gave them candy! That’s way more than I would have done! 😉

The thing that annoyed me as a teenager was that I *did* dress up, and people would turn my friends and me away at the door. So we were 15/16, so what? We put the effort into coming up with fun, creative costumes! Give us candy, damnit! 😉

Post # 5
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I couldn’t tell if he was upset you gave them a hard time, or “shit” as in candy.  But I think you are saying he didn’t like you hassling them.

I don’t know.  It is HALLOWEEN.  I would just give them candy. 

Post # 6
2981 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Giving the little arseholes a twix is a lot better than having a TP or egged house. Or now-a-days, slashed tires or worse. It IS annoying tho. It’s a huge reason why I don’t participate in the trick-or-treat in my own neighborhood- b/c of all the teens. I do it with the old folks home I’m associated with who have a trick-or-treat for their grandkids 12 and under.

Post # 7
2874 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

i dont give candy to anyone who hasnt dressed up. otherwise, i dont mind even if they are a little bit old

Post # 8
1160 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I would have just given them candy. I don’t think what you said was rude but it is just kind of annoying. Does it really matter to you whether they had a costume on or not? I mean unless you are running low on candy I don’t see why you wouldn’t just give it to them. Its halloween. Who knows why they don’t have a costume. Maybe their parents didn’t want to buy them one or who knows… Personally I just don’t think it is worth calling them out. 

Post # 9
6359 posts
Bee Keeper

Never too old if you’re polite and in costume.

No costume, no candy, unless you’re under 12 (or with someone who is…big bros and sises deserve candy too if they want some).

Post # 10
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We don’t give out candy, but when I used to I sent them packing with out candy.  That is for the little kids IMO.  My 15 year old was mentioning go out without costumes with his friends and I said no to that. I bought them each a bag of candy and told them they could stay at home and watch movies.  I think that it is hard for them at that age, they are too old to trick-or-treat but to young to go out to the bars.  Not really any parties for that age group either.  It must be hard to want to have fun with a holiday and be to old and to young to really enjoy it.

Post # 11
2385 posts
Buzzing bee

If they’re not dressed up they’re too old and just candy grabbing. If they’re in costume, I don’t have a problem with it. 

Post # 12
2107 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@raisedonrobbery:  Good for you for telling them off!  Personally, I’d be scared that they would come back later to egg the house or something (but I guess that’s why you gave them some candy!). 

Post # 13
3772 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

As long as they’re in costume I’m good with it! No costume, no candy (if you’re older).

I stopped ‘trick-or-treating’ once I was in HS. But in HS my youth group took it as an opportunity to go trick or treating for canned goods. We also did it with campus ministry in college. We ended up getting candy, but it was really cool splitting up neighborhoods and loading up wagons and wagons full of canned goods for the food bank.

Post # 14
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I went trick or treating in HS with friends, we all dressed up and I hated it when someone would hassle us.  I have also been about 6 feet tall since I was in middle school, so people were always occasionally mean or rude to me.  I basically have looked like an adult since I was about 11 years old :/

It is a little weird these kinds weren’t in costume though.

Post # 15
743 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

OP – try thinking about it from a different POV – maybe the kids wanted to get dressed up but were afriad they were going to be bullied?  Maybe one of them had a LD…costumes would have been a bit too much, but wanted the experience?? Or maybe their parents are out of work and candy really is a special treat for them?

True, maybe the kids were just candy-grabbers….but in that case, the worst that happens is that you are out a few pieces of candy (big whoop).  But I have a friend who has a kid with a LD and it really has opened my eyes when kids trick or treat (i.e. this kid doesn’t like talking to strangers, so they don’t say “trick or treat” or even “thank you”) but they do like doing the “normal” things like trickor treating.

Post # 16
113 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

those kids are the reason i got doors slamed in my face! no ones to old to trick or treat i think as long as thier dressed. i mean i allways went all out on my costumes and i love halloween. 

so no effort no candy! just say that its not rude. they chose not to fully perticipate so they should not get the reward. i mean not even a sheet with holes? at least thats classic lol

I dont believe in putting ketchup or ice in older kids candy bags either (someone did that to me, it broke my heart) thats so not nice ( ‘~’) 

I missed out this halloween were to far out for any trick or treaters and my Fi at work so no trick or treating partner 😛 

next year!

The topic ‘15/16 year olds trick or treating and NO costume… too old?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors