(Closed) 15/16 year olds trick or treating and NO costume… too old?

posted 8 years ago in Parenting
Post # 32
1170 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I thought my daughter was doing a good deed by trick or treating for her sick sister. Of course we gave her candy of her own, but it taught my other daughter a lesson about doing something for someone else.  My littlest was so sick she couldnt even sit in the yard and watch the treaters. I dont think it was a bad thing. My daughter is 13. I remember trick or treating right up til I was a sophmore in high school.

I know that we start demanding kids grow up by the time they are teenagers, but halloween is genuinely one of those holidays thats for all ages.

Post # 33
10635 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

A costume doesn’t have to cost anything.  Here though, there are many kids who are in costume and you can’t tell because it’s covered up by their jackets and hats.  I think by that age though, they can throw something together that would fit over winter garb.

I would just make them sing. That shouldn’t be a big deal to them, as I remember many houses making me do that once I was about 10 or so.

Post # 34
3172 posts
Sugar bee

Nothing wrong with trick or treating when you’re a teenager. The last time I went I was 17 and it was a lot of fun. 

Post # 35
1151 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@TexasSpringBride:  I completely agree! We don’t know the circumstances so just give them the candy if you have it. If you are running low or something then I understand but honestly we usually have LOADS of candy left and I personally don’t care. They are teenagers and its halloween.

Post # 36
2649 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

I think it’s better to have them trick or treating costume or not, than have them causing mischief or out at a party.

Give them candy I say.

Post # 37
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I usually don’t mind because the teens tend to come after all of the littles, so they clean me out of any extra candy that would be tempting to gorge on 🙂

DH always had a dream of being “the mystical house with the full-size candy bars” so we’ve done that for the last two years. Safeway always has a sale where they’re about 40 cents each approx 3 weeks before Halloween and I just stock up. We only get about 40-50 kids so it’s not too expensive. Then I buy one bag of mini candy on clearance on Halloween day as a backup just in case – that’s usually what the teens clean me out of, which is great!

Post # 38
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I don’t care how old you are as long as you’re in costume 🙂 No costume though, no candy!

Post # 39
6737 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

Wow, what’s with all the rules? 

I remember being younger and trick or treating with my friends.  It was always such a blast, costume or not, and no one ever gave us a hassle for it. 

Most of the time, I didn’t even keep the candy for myself.  We would give it to our younger siblings or some kids we found trick or treating at the end of the night.  We’d take a few bars of candy for ourselves, of course, but give away the rest.  It’s just a fun way to hang out with your friends on Halloween.

I can’t believe all of you guys have these rules and dictate who gets candy based on age and/or costume! 

It’s all in good fun, lighten up a little!

Post # 40
10635 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

Is the singing just a regional thing?

Post # 41
8481 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

lol, I had to deal with this from adults all night at work! I bought some candy to bring to work for the kids, since I wouldnt be able to hand out candy at home. I had adults going “well I want some. Cant I have some?” And the adults grabbed more candy than the kids! All the kids were good about only taking one or two, the adults would grab a handful. And then threw a fit when I would say something about it.

Post # 42
1151 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@futuremrsk18:  Lol exactly. I was just as surprised. 

Post # 43
1578 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Country Club

Really not a big deal. They are still kids.

Post # 44
5427 posts
Bee Keeper

But they were dressed up in costumes! 

As TEENAGERS! Hahahahahahhahahhahahahaah

I would give them all candy! They make the effort to come out and I would say, “Hey tha’t a great teen costume! But the pants need to be a little lower!” LOL

Post # 45
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

That would probably annoy me a little, but I wouldn’t say anything. I teach middle schoolers and so many of them were SO excited about going trick or treating. I was surprised because I stopped going after elementary school, but I’m so glad to see a lot of my kids still going because they’re often in such a hurry to grow up. 

Regarding the costumes, a lot of my students have very little, so I don’t know if they could afford any sort of costume. It breaks my heart to think of them missing out because of that. Chances are the kids at your door weren’t in that position, but I’d probably never say anything because who knows?

Post # 46
4428 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@raisedonrobbery:  i would have smdh and gave them candy teen are just too spitefull and have nothing else better to do lol Hell night is tonight right? dont forget about Hell night lol

The topic ‘15/16 year olds trick or treating and NO costume… too old?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors