(Closed) 16 MILE travel expenses?

posted 10 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

This is very unusual in my experience. I would ask them to waive the fee since it is so short of a distance.

Post # 4
2765 posts
Sugar bee

Your travel fee seems to be for travel between the ceremony and reception… I have never heard of that one.

In my experience, many photographers don’t charge an overall travel fee if the venue is within their "home" area.  For example, a lot of Manhattan photographers don’t charge for a wedding in Manhattan… but might charge a small surcharge to go to Queens or NJ.

I’m not surprised that someone is charging a surcharge for the travel, since it’s a pain to have to travel (especially if you have assistants traveling separately).  Usually though, this cost would be absorbed into the cost of the overall budget.  If the budget is low, maybe I could see a travel surcharge making sense?

Hope that helps!

Post # 5
36 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2018

I haven’t heard of this. but maybe it is just something new with all of the  gas hikes.  

Post # 6
323 posts
Helper bee

16 miles is ridiculous. I would question her more about this if I were you.

Charging a travel fee when there is a great distance (more than 30min drive) from the ceremony to the reception —- or if you are getting ready somewhere really far away from the ceremony …. that’s normal. But 16miles? That’s weird.

Post # 7
629 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2005

Yeah, normally there’s a minimum distance before they charge. If you can’t get out of paying (is it in the contract?), then try to negotiate an actual mileage expense. The government currently pays 58.5 cents a mile (for gas and wear and tear) on a privately owned vehicle. 

Post # 8
11 posts
Newbee

Most photographers will travel up to 40 miles to the wedding location, in California at least. If your wedding ceremony and reception are in two different locations and is 16 miles apart, this should be inclusive of his/her determined ammount of hours. You may want to really read his/her contract and make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

Post # 9
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

That is completely ridiculous.  Tell her you’ll give her $20.  They can charge travel expenses if where they are coming from is really far, but not for between the two, and definitely not for 16 miles.  ESPECIALLY $100.  That is rude to even expect it.

Post # 10
1061 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

For something so standard (aren’t most wedding ceremonies and receptions in two different places?), $100 is a little much. That’s what we’re paying our officiant to travel from NYC to Delaware — a few more than 16 miles!

Post # 11
1238 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Is that in the contract you signed?  If the price of gas is the issue, offer to pay for a gallon of gas — that should cover about 16 miles if he is driving a big truck and up to 30 miles if he has an economy car.  Offer to pay for 2 gallons if he is driving a hummer!

Post # 13
508 posts
Busy bee

good luck and let us know how it shakes out!  even in CA where gas prices are super high, many photographers have a pretty large range before charging travel fees.  $100 for 16 miles is crazy madness.

Post # 14
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

i agree $100 is totally crazy. but i once went to a wedding in sf where the reception site was like 20 miles from the ceremony site and it took us an hour to get there because of traffic and all the madness over the bridge. I think there was also construction – are you in a heavy traffic area? but even if, i don’t think it justifies $100. boo.

The topic ‘16 MILE travel expenses?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors