(Closed) $1.60 for postage?! Doesn't that seem high?

posted 5 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
3170 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Unless you had a ton of twine in there I can’t imagine that being the reason. Did you have really heavy invites? That seems super high.

Post # 4
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

That does seem a little high.

Yes, the bakers twine will put a 20 cent surcharge on it for non-machinable if you can feel a bump in there, or if it is very rigid (mine were too stiff and got the non-machinable charge).

What is the shape? What are the dimensions? Is it possibly being categorized as a large envelope rather than a letter?

Just take it to the Post Office and have it checked – I had them check twice! I think mine were 80 or 85 cents – standard size envelope, but it was overweight and rigid.

Post # 5
2457 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

That really seems ridiculous!! I think ours were like… 65 cents or something like that? And we had little decorative things on ours too. Can’t imagine why they’re charging you so much!

Post # 6
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

That does seem pricey but I know USPS has a lot of regulations regarding sizes. Was it smaller than 6 1/8″x11 1/2″ or larger than a 1/4″ thickness- When I went online with a regular envelope size & your weight I got 66 cents…. Were you trying to get them to hand cancel each one as well- my post office said that would all be extra…. 

My best guess would be that your taking them to a third party to mail for you, they can charge you anything they want really on top of the USPS price…. 

Post # 7
3340 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

Yeah, that’s ridiculously high.  The U.S. Post Office tried to do the same thing to me.  They’re treating your letter as a package instead of a letter.  That’s why they’re charging you more.  If you tell them you don’t mind it going through the automated machines, it’ll probably bring the cost way down.

For example, my envelopes were a little large, slightly over 1 ounce, and had a wax seal closing the envelope.  I paid 86 cents per envelope.  (It would have been 66 cents each but the wax seal added a lot).  When I handed over the letters, they asked me if I wanted the envelopes to get bent.  I was like, “No of course I don’t want them bent.  They’re wedding invitations.”  And then they said, “Okay well then that’ll be ____.”  (I can’t remember the exact amount but it was something like $2 each).  Eventually, the lady fessed up and said they would treat the letters as packages.  I was like, screw that.  They’re letters.

By The Way, my guests have received them and none of the envelopes were bent or damaged in any way.

Post # 8
879 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

If your invitations are in just an envelope that seems really high! That pricing seems more for boxed invitations, which I was initially considering.  Ours came out to be $0.86. The standard $0.66 plus $0.20 because my enclosure was thick which made it non-machineable. We got ours handstamped as well for no additional charge.

Definitely take it to the post office and get a second opinion. My first trip to the post office, the lady said it’ll only be $0.66 which was correct weight-wise but she didn’t check thickness and rigidness. I had to add the extra 0.20 when I was about to mail them. Ours was a pocketfold with invitation, 4 inserts, and a 4bar RSVP envelope plus belly band and satin ribbon.

Post # 9
3265 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Whaaat. If you’re planning on going with regular mail then it should only cost you .65 for a 1.2oz envelope.

Post # 10
2375 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

There are a few factors that affect price.  First and most obvious is weight.  The weight of yours automatically adds $0.20.  Plus rigid twine is another $0.20.  If they’re non standard size (square, elongated envelope), that’s another $0.20.  Every post office had a board with a cutout, I think it’s 1/4″ wide.  If your envelope can’t slide through it, it is no longer considered a letter, it’s a package.  And that jacks your price WAY up.  With going to a 3rd party company, they’re probably putting a surcharge on top of that as well.

I’d go to two different real post offices and have them check.  If you get two different answers, use the higher price.  It sounds counterintuitive, but if the main post office looks at them and decides you didn’t pay enough, they’ll send them back to you.  And then both the envelope and stamps you already paid for are useless. 

Post # 11
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

My suite was standard size but because it was quite a bit of cardstock (pocketfold, triple mat, 3 enclosure cards) with a rhinestone buckle in the middle; it was rigid & the post office treated it as a parcel, costing me $2.10 to mail.  I took it to 4 different post offices in my area and they all told me the same thing so I bit the bullet and paid the postage….I really didn’t have any other choice at the time, except to risk sending them out with short postage & have them all returned back to me.

Post # 12
1623 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Are you doing square invitations/envelopes?  I know there’s a surcharge for that shape.  Also, baker’s twine will add extra postage.  What is the weight of all your individual pieces (cards) of paper? 

Post # 13
1576 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@MariContrary:  That was such a helpful answer. Thanks. I’m going to keep that in mind for when it’s time to buy stamps. 🙂

Post # 14
3424 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

What? Have you gone to the actual post office and weighed them yourself? Mine weighed 1.60 oz. and consisted of a ribbon tied 5×7 pocketfold with invite and enclosures and they only cost 66 cents a piece For postage.  

Post # 15
2375 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

The post office by me was so helpful!  They broke everything down and explained everything.  They’re apparently super strict about that 1/4″ rule too.  As he put it, ‘if it sticks even a little when I’m passing it through the tester, it’s a package’.  Luckily, mine had plenty of room.

Post # 16
4495 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

My invites are mailerboxes, so they weigh more than a traditional invitation. They cost $2.04/ea to ship. For what I’m shipping I think this is a good deal. But $1.60 for a regular envelope invitation seems high to me.

The topic ‘$1.60 for postage?! Doesn't that seem high?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors