(Closed) 17 DAYS away with out of control breakouts

posted 10 years ago in Beauty
Post # 17
1315 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Prednisolone (mild steroid) can work v well, sometimes. Given your time scale – doc should be willing to prescribe.

Post # 18
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

i’ve been having these crazy breakouts lately as well (new bcp) so i invested in some origins products. a little pricey, but they seem to be working. i don’t know what kind of skin you have (oily, dry, sensitive, etc.) but this is the regiment i follow (i have oily skin, btw):

every morning and night:

• wash with neutrogena acne stress control face wash <- this is what i’ve been using for several years and want to finish the last of it before i switch to the origins cleanser recommended for me (which is their zero oil cleanser).
  • swipe face with oil refiner toner to clean up all the residue that the cleanser leaves behind.
  • apply spot remover to blemishes (their website and several people/bee’s claim this helps clear up blemishes over night. that’s not exactly the case for me – maybe my problems are way worse than the normal folk though, lol. i’ve found that this does help speed the process along. before, pimples would stick around for weeks. now, with this product, they go through their course in just a few days).
  • every two to three days, i use the modern friction exfoliator and it helps get rid of dry, dead skin and really opens up your pores. immediately following this step, i’ll apply the charcoal mask (once a week only at night) in my t-zone to pull out all the gunk from my pores that form blackheads, and i just recently started applying the out of trouble mask (2-3 times per week as needed at night) to the lower part of my face (chin/mouth/jawline areas) as that’s where the majority of my massive unsighlty breakouts occur. this mask really helps calm down the breakouts. it reduces the swelling and pulls all the gunk up and out.

like i said, i’ve only just started all of this about a month or so ago (with the exception of the out of trouble mask – i just started using that this week) and it seems to be helping. my face is much softer and my pores are visibly smaller and i don’t have hardly any blackheads any more – my cheeks/nose used to be covered in them. 🙁  i’m now just working on taming the breakouts, but i’m hoping the out of trouble mask will continue to help with that. i’m also waiting to finish my current cleanser (just b/c i have an issue with just throwing it away – it was brand new!) so i can start using the zero oil one.

i know origins is expensive – everything i listed above is ~$120 – but it will last you a good while (about 3-4 months) as you don’t need to use a whole lot. if you can’t shell out for all of it at once (i couldn’t), i’d definitely recommed at least the out of trouble mask and the spot remover. those will be the ones to attack your breakouts the most. hopefully this helps! i know it can be really frustrating – apparently i reverted back to my middle school years again too and it sucks. let me know how it turns out if you do decide to try some of these products. good luck!

Post # 19
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

oh. also, if you can’t shell out for all of the products but still want to try them, go into a store, tell them you’re interested but aren’t sure if you want to spend all that money on them without knowing whether they’ll work or not. they should offer you some samples – that’s what i did. Embarassed  it really isn’t a lie though – their products are expensive compared to the drugstore stuff i used to use. even just the samples should be enough to get you to at least your wedding day and if you decide you like them, then you can shell out for them afterward.

Post # 20
309 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Go to your dermatologist and ask him for a creme with 1% erythromycin in it.

It made my skin totally perfect after about a week and didn’t have any negative effects.

Post # 21
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: June 2005

Get thee to a dermatologist.  They can inject them with cortisone to reduce the redness and they should go down quickly without scarring.

Post # 22
248 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

How is your skin doing now? i hope you are seeing some improvement 🙂

Post # 23
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

This is going to sound crazy, but I suffer from acne which seems to be hormonal. My sister started taking Evening Primrose Oil supplements and she swore they have helped clear up her skin. I thought she was crazy but I was willing to give it a try anyway. I started taking them about 2 weeks ago, and within DAYS I noticed a big difference.

Take the 1000 mg pills, three times a day. You should be able to get them at any neighborhood drugstore or grocery store. 

Post # 24
605 posts
Busy bee

Yes, see a dermatologist. Definitely do oral antibiotics (remember they can make your birth control pills less effective) and maybe also antibacterial cream and/or Retin-A. I’ve had bad breakouts that have totally calmed down within a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, stress can make it worse so try to stay calm. Good luck!

Post # 25
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2011

If you haven’t seen a derm yet, you might also ask about Spironolactone – mine prescribed it for me when I went off the pill and my face went berserk, and it’s been a miracle-worker. It’s not an antibiotic, but rather a blood pressure medication that also limits hormonal fluctuations, the convenient side effect being a really dramatic effect on hormonal breakouts. If the acne just started once you got off the pill, then that’s almost certainly what’s going on, so Spironolactone might be a good fix. The difference in my complexion, even in just the first week, was huge, so it might be an okay quick fix for you before your new BCP takes over. Good luck!!

Post # 26
605 posts
Busy bee

How are you doing? Hope all’s calmed down by now. Have a great wedding this weekend!

Post # 27
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I’m with the majority.. go to your dermatologist and get cortizone shots on the breakout areas.

If that is not a possibility … MARIO BADESCU!

http://www.mariobadescu.com/drying-lotion

This thing works within hours!

If THAT’S not a possibility … PREPARATION H! << it’s kinda embarrassing to bring this up to the counter but … it truly helps. 🙂

Good luck!~

The topic ‘17 DAYS away with out of control breakouts’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors