17 weeks pregnant hip pain, am I the only one?

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
670 posts
Busy bee

You could already have a hip issue and the relaxation of ligaments and muscles that pregnancy provides could be making it a bigger problem. A doctor probably won’t have much insight, you’ll likely have better results with a really good physiotherapist. 

Post # 3
2419 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

raccoona :  So, I would agree that it is too early in pregnancy if your midwife was referring to SPD, since that tends to occur closer to birth as baby drops lower to prepare for birth.

However, hip and lower back pain during pregnancy has been one of (if not my only) my biggest complaints. I’m 35 weeks pregnant and every night wake up multiple times to a similar dull ache in my hips, and it can also spread to my lower back. 

As PP mentioned, relaxin is produced to help loosen the ligaments so your uterus can continue to grow. This can cause things to “shift” and just settle differnt than normal.

How are you sleeping? I was a tummy sleeper so once I moved to my sides, I noticed so much more discomfort. I spoke to my OB about it, who said that sometimes when you are on your side, the hips can settle into the mattress and get a little stiff. She recommended using a pillow to support your lower back and hips. I currently use a snoogle and a wedge pillow at the same time – the snoogle goes on one side (my back) and the small wedge is under my hip that is on the bed. This helps me from rolling around, and in addition, the snoogle provides extra cushion between my knees or ankles, which keeps your legs parallel – to help from too much weight being placed on that lower hip. As my belly has gotten bigger, I’ve found it comfortable to side sleep with the leg/hip touching the bed at a straight angle, and the top leg sort of crossing over that, bent but laying flat on the bed as well.

Another thing that helps with the back pain is a good support belt or tank top. When I was around 18ish weeks, I had a lot of lower back achiness, which is normal. I splurged on a very great support tank (Blanqi) which has built-in support around the lower belly and upper back. It has been magical and easy to sleep in. Sort of just holds things “in place.”

I would recommend trying one of those and see if it helps! Hip and back pain is so common in pregnancy, I am surprised your midwife immediately dismissed your concerns.

Post # 4
1743 posts
Bumble bee

Girl, I’m around 5 weeks and my back and hips ache! Did you have issues before pregnancy? I did, and I used to go to a chiropractor regularly and do yoga. It helped IMMENSELY. I’d look into that, if you can. Yoga can be expensive, but sometimes your rec centers will have classes for a lot cheaper. Or, perhaps you could go to your rec center for some swim exercise. Stretching, chiropractic, and low impact strengthening. Those were the best things for me pre-pregnancy, and hoping it’ll help now, too. Good luck!

Post # 5
689 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

Chiropractor! They saved me during my pregnancies. 

Post # 6
9174 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

totally normal.  your body is changing.  it could be your sciatica.  look up yoga moves to help or take a prenatal yoga class.

Post # 7
3377 posts
Sugar bee

I’ve had pelvic and hip pain since I don’t even remember when during this pregnancy. So over it. Thank goodness I’m going to deliver in the next week or two! Seriously, thouugh – see if you can find a prenatal physical therapist or chiropractor.

Post # 8
6592 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

raccoona :  I had hip pain and while I associate it with my pregnancy, I did already have some knee problems that could have stemmed from my hips and I just didn’t know it.  My husband has always theorized I have a leg shorter than the other.  At any rate, in my case, if I was stopped in the hall at work and held still too long, it hurt like hell to start moving again.  I had to be constantly shifting my weight.  Later in pregnancy I’ve had occasional days where I needed to sleep in our recliner in order to get the weight off my hips at night.  I can’t wait until I can sleep on my back and belly again!

That said, it didn’t travel to my groin or back, so our situations could be totally different.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors