(Closed) 18 carrot or 9

posted 8 years ago in Rings
  • poll: 9 carrot gold or 18
    Go for the 9 carrot you will after all be wearing if for the rest of you life : (1 votes)
    14 %
    18 matches your engagement ring and you can always get it remade if it wears to badly : (6 votes)
    86 %
  • Post # 3
    1109 posts
    Bumble bee

I’d go with 18, and get your engagement replated, so they will wear down together.

If you don’t want them rubbing, you can get them soldered together.

Post # 4
    553 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

White gold can be recoated occasionally to bring it back to the original look. The store I bought my wedding band from will do it for free as need and charge $35 to do my E ring….Totally worth doing it once a year or so. 

Post # 5
    315 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

White gold is not a pure metal.  This will happen to all white gold.  You have to have it rhodium plated once or twice a year depending on your preferences.  (Typically $30 per treatment).  Platinum is pure and will not need to be plated.

http://www.dyjewels.com/je_whitegold.shtml

Post # 6
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

I’d get the metals in the same karat so they match..18 and 9 have different alloys and will be noticeably different.

Whenever you buy your wedding bands, have them repolsih your engagement ring so they match. I had it done for really cheap. honestly my e-ring is white gold and i’ve had it 1.5 years and it still matches my bands, which i’ve only had for 6 months. if it’s wearing too fast, i’m not sure if that’s normal or hot

Post # 7
    972 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

lol I thought you were talking about about 18 carat diamond. I was like holy cow :-O! lol. I believe the purity of gold measurement is called karat, and the size of a diamond is carat. Regarding the issue at hand, I would make sure the gold karats match. 

Post # 8
    1230 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2008

I’ve never seen white gold in “9 karat”… I’ve only seen it in 10K, 14K, 18K and 24K.  The Karat “number” refers to the amount of gold in the metal.  So the higher the number, the more gold is actually in the piece of jewelry.  As previous posters have mentioned, the metal is made of a portion of gold and other parts metal alloys.  All white gold rings these days are coated with Rhodium (in the Platinum family) to create a beautiful shiny luster on top of the white gold.  When that Rhodium wears away, it shows more of the gold that is mixed in with the alloys.  This is totally normal.

I would recommend buying a wedding ring with the same Karat weight as your Engagement ring so that they wear evenly.  When you get your wedding band, get your Engagement ring re-plated with Rhodium and polished – that way it will match your brand new shiny wedding ring.  After that they will wear at the same pace. 

P.S.  Just some info. for your ring shopping needs – Gold weight is measured in Karats.  Diamond and Gem weight is measured in Carats.

Good luck and happy planning!

The topic ‘18 carrot or 9’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors