(Closed) 18 month old won't nap in bed

posted 4 years ago in Parenting
Post # 2
47188 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

jfallon:  I had to move my son to a bed at 18 months for the same reason. It was less distance for him to fall off the bed than it was to fall climbing over the side rail of the crib.

I would do nothing. It won’t hurt her to sleep on the floor. Eventually she will get used to the bed and sleep there for her naps too.

Post # 3
608 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

jfallon:  I second julies – let her sleep on the floor. She’ll get used to the bed eventually, and at least she’s still napping!

Post # 4
6040 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2019 - City, State

jfallon:  you can’t force her to take a nap on the bed. In fact, you can’t force her to take naps period. My son stopped taking naps at a little under 2 years old and he literally has never taken one since, he’s 10 now. I would stop trying to force her into a habit that she just doesn’t seem to take naturally to. If she sleeps on the floor, leave her be.

Post # 5
11520 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

jfallon:  I don’t have kids but I used to nanny full time.  Many of the kids I babysat stopped napping but they still had to have ‘quiet time’ in their rooms.  Some days they napped, some days they didn’t.  If your daughter wants to fall asleep on the floor I’d say let her.  I would just encourage the quiet time, if she wants to sit and look at books or play quietly I dont think that’ll hurt her.

Post # 6
2805 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

jfallon: Your post makes me happy. We have been struggling with the same things with our 2 year old. I still catch him napping in funny spots in his room (after he finally goes down that is). I totally feel your pain and its comforting to know its a normal behavior. 

With the tearing the room apart, we ended up taking everything out of his room. No toys, and no bookshelf (this was the worst to pick up after). We also put a lock on his closet door. He has a bed and a dresser only now, and he tends to go to sleep at naptime and bedtime with  much less of a struggle… although he still finds a way to destroy stuff when he wants to  (takes mattress off bed, pushes bed to other side of the room etc.. ). Try to take stuff out so she doesn’t have anything to keep her occupied and maybe she’ll go down easier. 

Post # 7
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I was just reading yesterday about how toddlers don’t really have the self control/understanding to get the imaginary confines of a bed. I know my 2 year old doesn’t! The article suggested 3 years old was a good age to make the transition, but what can you really do if your toddler climbs out of the crib? I would say just let her fall asleep on the floor. Maybe she’ll start to understand the bed in time and choose it over the floor.

Post # 8
861 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

This is very common – I know a lot of parents with kids that age that do this. Everyone I know just lets them sleep on the floor. 

Post # 9
2543 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

jfallon:  Forgive me, because I’m really not judging, but why did you try for 5 hours to have her take a nap?? 5 hours? That seems extremely excessive. What was the point? – didn’t that then in turn mess the whole day’s routine up anyway? I’m guessing this was a mid day nap…so lets say you started to put her down at 11…and it took her 5 hours, so she then went down for a nap at 4? That’s a very late nap. Did she eat lunch? Wasn’t it bedtime by the time she woke up? Sorry that just doesn’t sound like it makes sense. If you wanted to get that nap in so badly I’d have put her in the car by the one hour point and taken a drive. Really just trying to help.

Post # 10
2543 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

jfallon:  Another thought – you say she’s great at night, well that’s when the house I’m sure gets quiet and dark and she knows you are also going to bed. During the day is a whole other story – she probably doesn’t want to miss out on whatever you guys are doing. Try quieting the whole house down, to set a ‘quiet time’ mood and see if that helps

Post # 11
849 posts
Busy bee

pick your battles, this is not one of them. My almost 6 year old NEVER napped in her bed- only on the couch in our living room. She’s always been fine with her bed at night. They don’t nap forever- just let her nap where she wants.

The topic ‘18 month old won't nap in bed’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors