(Closed) 18 year old’s getting married?

posted 8 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 77
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

View original reply
@craftybridelovesnerdygroom:  Agree x 1000! I am of the Christian faith as well and a lot of what I’ve learned and experienced is that you either marry or be alone…there is no limbo area between the two…theres’s scripture on that…also I said almost the exact same thing in a post and I caught some heat for it…so I really appreciate hearing it from another brave bee : )

To OP: If it makes you feel better, I just became engaged to my Fiance and we are 19 and 18…we will be getting married in the next 2 years hopefully, and the first thing that was said to me after I showed them my ring was “you need to wait atleast 4 years” and my mom just ignores the rock on my hand altogether…

It can get tough receiving all the negative comments from the people that you want to be happy and excited but if you have faith, you can make it last.

God Luck…message me if you ever need to talk…us under 20 bee’s need to stick together  : )

Post # 78
4640 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

my husband’s parents got married when she was still in high school. and they are still together over 30 years later!

you know what’s right for you. so do it! <3

Post # 79
716 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I know this thread is a month old but I need to echo the other Bees here. I’m a completely different person now at 27 than I was at 18. I needed to grow and learn what I really wanted in both myself and my partner. It’s not that your love cannot last — one of my good friends married her high school sweetheart after 10 years a few years ago, but you need to take the time to know yourself and each other and grow. You also need to be completely financially independent from your parents… I definitely was not until a few years ago and needed to reach that step to feel like I was an independent woman before I became “wife”

ETA: I also think if you are too young to drink at your own wedding, you’re really too young to get married….

Post # 80
154 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I tried to get married at 18 to my boyfriend of two years. My parents did exactly the same thing. They talked about how I was too young and he wasn’t ready. Three years later I must say they were right. My boyfriend of the time wasn’t right. I was so inlove with him that I was blinded by his wrong?  When your 18 I know I thought I knew what I wanted and what would happen 5 years late I was completely wrong. Now Im engaged again with the write guy that’s completely differently.

Post # 81
1470 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

whats the rush??  dont you want to be financially stable and have savings and full benifits and be educated and 100% on your own before you get married??   People change so much between 15 and 25 i really dont see the point in rushing anything

I dont understand why people get married so young anymore, if this is the person you are supposed to spend the rest of your life with then why not wait?? 

are there any 18 years olds who are financially stable with savings and insurance, i know if i had an 18 year old trying to get married i would no longer be willing to help them financiall with anything, college, food, insurance ect…. completly and 100% on their own, if you are old enough to be getting married you are old enough to pay all your own bills…..

Post # 82
154 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
@google:  I totally agree people end up changing alot from 18(I’ve experienced it). You grow and have goals and want to fulfill those goals and sometimes the wrong person can hold you back. Not to mention an education helps a relationship because financial issues are one of the leading causes of divorce. Sometimes immaturity can make an relationship fail because of lack of communication. Marriage is a big thing.

Post # 83
154 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
@alyssa.christine1:  My parents did too when I wanted to get married at 18. They were at least you not obligated or stuck with them. Then they were like at least we would be able to keep him aeay from the kid becasue we could prove hes a bad influence in court. Oh parents!

Post # 84
1542 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I have to say i do think you r too young to get married. Im only 24 and NOTHING like what i was at 18. Id be too worried that wed grow apart if i got married that young. Its simply a larger risk. Not to mention do you guys have full time jobs to live on your own and completely support yourself. Not many people do at 18.

Post # 85
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m 20 and getting married in 8 days.. Not a big difference.. He’s the one you wNt to be with and I think it’s sweet. High school sweethearts. And Its even sweeter bc there’s no baby to make it like you have to get married, your simply in love. Do your thang…

Post # 86
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am 19, and my Fiance is 22 🙂 We have been together for 2 years and everyone knew in the beginning that we were meant to be. We’re getting married on September 2nd! Many people have said rude things and asked what’s the rush? But when you’re ready why not? Why wait if thats what you want? Also I think it is possible for two people to grow together which is why it could be a postivie to getting married younger than older because if the both of you have established yourselves, compromising may be more difficult. But me and my Fiance will continue to grow together. I also think that being God centered is important for we, who are young. But I don’t think it is stupid to get married young, I do think it brings challanges, but if you have the right attitude and rely on each other and learn from your mistakes, I believe anyone of any age could make a happy and long lasting marriage 🙂

Post # 87
660 posts
Busy bee

Do what feels right my love, it may last until you take your last breath, it may end a month later. Other ppl can’t speculate, every story is different. All I know is at 18, I felt the purest, most innocent love ever, it was not tainted or mature, it was real and wonderful and I would have married in a heartbeat, but over 10 years on, I know it would not have worked, because of what I know now later on in life and because I have changed as a person in many ways, and hindsight all of our outside influences and cultural differences would have made my life miserable.,,,but hey, at 18, I could not give a crap what anyone thought, I was INLOVE, AND I would have loved and learnt…which is what you need to do. – I know people married at 18 still together and happy and I also know people married at 18 divorced and thankful. – It’s your story, you write it x

Post # 88
1575 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I got married the first time at 18 and we had been a couple since I was 15. We were divorced by the time I was 21, but hey, that doesn’t mean your marriage is doomed to failure. I wish you and your FH every happiness!

Post # 89
1360 posts
Bumble bee

I will be 19 when I get married (18 when we got engaged) and I know that I am ready for this commitment. I think it’s foolish to say that a marriage is ‘doomed’ due to age, since many marriages between ‘older, more responsible’ people fail as well. It all depends on the couple, and their willingness to work through anything life throws their way; and their devotion to each other, paired with effective communication. There is no baby involved for us, and no rush, but instead of dating for 3/4 more years and then getting married….I’d rather just be married?

Post # 90
883 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Best of luck for you both! As I am too a young bride.

Post # 91
1067 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

The problem is that life starts to change when you’re in college and after college things change more. Some couples can wear through it, but the majority don’t because there’s just so much change. Good luck to you guys.

The topic ‘18 year old’s getting married?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors