• poll: Do you think the Duggers should continue to have more kids

Yes

No

Don't care either way

Who are the Duggers?

• Post # 47
    218 posts
    Helper bee

@ThingsThatShine There is no organization that a person applies to, in order to join the Quiverful movement. It is an umbrella term to describe a movement, that is taking place in some sects of the Christian faith. The Duggars likely do not call themselves Quiverful followers because of all the negative media attention devoted to that term. But they follow all of the same principals. So the fact that they don’t call themselves Quiverful followers, is a moot point. Like I said, if it quacks like a duck … 

I don’t have an issue with them, I think they seem like lovely people in some respects. I just wanted to shed some light on the fact that they represent an entire, political movement which is rapidly growing (for obvious reasons!), at the moment in the United States. It is not just about THIS television show. I’m not sure people get that. 

Post # 48
    1497 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

19 is already an overwhelming number… one or two more probably wouldn’t affect them much.

I just know I could never in good conscience conceive that many kids naturally when I think of how many orphans without families are in this world.

Post # 49
    826 posts
    Busy bee

@spicyrutabaga-I am aware of all that. I just still don’t think it’s right to say that they are part of the movement when they say they are not and when they clearly started doing it due to personal conviction.

I’m fat, I like being fat, and I encourage others to be happy fatties too, but I would never say I am part of the Fat Acceptance movement, and I’d never want anyone saying I am just because I walk and talk like the people who are a part of the movement do.

I’m not crazy about the Duggars, but I just really don’t like it when people assume things about them.

Post # 50
    2063 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
    @spicyrutabaga:  I just got done reading some of the stories and I’m trying to keep my co-workers from noticing my tears. That’s awful.

Post # 51
    218 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @ThingsThatShine:  I see what you are saying. But my point is separate from the label. It is not the label or their acceptance (or lack thereof) of the label that matters to me. It is the actions which evoke the label that are potentially harmful. That is what I wanted to draw attention to, not whether or not they call themselves Quiverful followers (or identify themselves with the label).

Post # 52
    218 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @aliavenue:  I know, I came across the sight about a year ago, and it breaks my heart.

Post # 53
    1351 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I’m in the I don’t care group.  It’s their family/their choice.  End of story.

Post # 54
    575 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Michelle actually used birth control at the beginning of their marriage, but miscarried her second child because of it. That is why she stopped birth control. I think Michelle’s body is to a point where it is over her baby making time; but their children absolutely adore their parents and vice versa. Most small families aren’t even that happy, so I commend them.

Post # 55
    3771 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    @Eva Peron:  I love your comment 😀

Post # 56
    2413 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I personally find it sad that the older children tend to raise the younger. I would prefer to have a 100% hands-on experience with my children which just isn’t possible with so many.

As a nurse, I find it incredibly irresponsible that she continued to have children after her issues with her last child, and therefore, I was totally not surprised that she miscarried the next baby. Her body really can’t handle it anymore.

However, at the end of the day, then can afford to support themselves, and are on no government assistance so I really can’t argue with that!

Post # 57
    1561 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I would actually aspire to have my (future) family as loving and God-centered as the Duggars.  I believe their parenting methods are exceptional, and that many of the issues in the world today come from parents not caring about what their children do.  I would much rather see the Duggars continue to follow their own beliefs than to see a [email protected]#$% get pregnant with a 5th child (example only) while totally abusing the system.  But that’s just my opinion.

Post # 58
    188 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I think it’s disgusting. In my mind I’m screaming “let other people have a chance to populate the world!” lol

Post # 59
    11374 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

I don’t have a opinion because I don’t know all of the facts. I do not know what her doctor is telling her. I do not know if her body is taking on more than she can handle. I do know I would stop after this miscarriage she just had if it was me. But I do not expect her to, because its her body, her choice!

What I do know is they take amazing care of their children. YES the older kids help. They cook, clean & behave VERY well! They are being brought up very well, if you ask me. & YES they still get alot of fun time & time to be kids! The Duggars are always so patient with their children & I hope to be able to show that same patience with mine one day!

This better explain the Quiverfull following:

Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. (Pslam 127:3-5 K.J.V.)

Post # 60
    611 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    @AnneTossy:  “Would it probably be best if she stopped? Yes. Do I care if she doesn’t? Nope. She’s a big girl and will the choice she believes is right for her.”

I completely agree with you on this.

My point was that I DON’T think it’s hypocritical to say “a woman should be the only one making decisions for her own body” yet to also have a personal opinion about the decisions she makes. Believing that someone has the right to make a decision for themselves, and then also having your own opinion that the person’s decision was a poor one, does not make you a hypocrite. It’s a little bit like the free speech issue–I can acknowledge Rush Limbaugh’s legal right to free speech, yet also find the content of his speech deplorable.

Post # 61
    13094 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

While I wouldn’t want her to be forcibly stopped, I don’t think she is making a smart choice in continuing to have more children.

With Josie’s difficult early arrival and the most recent miscarriage, it seems like maybe her body is trying to tell her something.

Also, I really don’t agree with their lifestyle.  Yes – they can afford all of their kids (a TV show helps with that) but they don’t have enough time to truely raise 19 kids individually.  The older kids spend a lot of time raising their younger siblings and, IMO, that just isn’t right.

The topic ‘19 and Counting…the show…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors