Yes

No

Don't care either way

Who are the Duggers?

• Post # 62
    863 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - Old Stone House in Brookyn

I think it’s really unfair to their older daughters. They have three or four adult daughters and none of them have jobs, go to college, are allowed to date, or even leave the house without a chaperone. Sure, Michelle is free to choose to have as many children as she wants, but the older girls were forced into it. They don’t just do chores and babysit, they do the vast majority of the parenting once the kids are past toddler age, including homeschooling them. Their only way out (if they don’t want to be kicked out of their church) is an arranged marraige.

Post # 63
    3773 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2004

I don’t know the Duggars well, but I am close friends with some of their good friends and have met them.  Their children are absolutely wonderful and happy.  They are well educatated and any parent would be proud to call them their own.  I hope to do as well with my two as they have done with their nineteen.  Both Jim Bob and Michelle are attentive and active parents who listen to and understand the hearts of their children in a way that you rarely see in today’s world.

Post # 64
    3942 posts
    Honey bee

I really don’t have a problem with them. Personally, I would have stopped a long time ago. But it’s her body and her decision.

And the arguments about the older kids pitching in, well, that is how many families work. Growing up in a single parent house I was forced to help out with my siblings and pitch in around the house. That doesn’t mean my mom shouldn’t have children.

Post # 65
    5294 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 1993

View original reply
    @Bostongrl25:  exactly! We moved to our farm when I was 12. From that point on, I put 35 hours a week into it. So did my siblings. That would probably horrify a lot of other people (considering my youngest sibling was 6 at the time – don’t worry, he got easy stuff), but that’s what is normal for farm families.

And honestly? I think I would have preferred watching my younger sibling and doing laundry vs. baling 2000 bales of hay in one lovely hot July afternoon or shoveling out hutches during blizzards.

So the Duggars are just doing what’s normal for large families.

Post # 66
    1844 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I do have to say, I do like the Duggar family. I am concerned for the older kids (especially the older girls) as it seems as though a lot of the family responsibilities fall to them. The kids all seem well mannered and polite, and they do a lot of things with their kids that may not necessarily cost a lot. I may not agree with everything they do. To me, it seems like their children (the girls, especially) are to follow a certain path. There may be some choice (like, they can choose a trade to learn), but the kids don’t have the freedom to make a ton of decisions themselves.

That being said, their method seems to work well for them. I did vote “no” that she shouldn’t have any more kids. I came from a purely medical standpoint. I’m afraid that it could be very harmful for Mrs. Duggar and any future children. I do believe in a woman’s choice. However, I think you also need to be able to do what you can to make sure you’re in a state to take care of the children that you have.

Post # 67
    486 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I’m in no place to speak on the health risk associated with having so many kids. 

However, I believe I remember hearing that they were completely debt-free before the show even started, so they have always been fiscally responsible. Also, I kinda like the idea of having a sort of “mentor” thing with your children. I don’t think they have come up with that idea because they are lazy or don’t want to be involved, but it is simply what works best for their family. Their kids are loved, seem happy, and (from what I’ve seen) are well-adjusted considering the media attention they get. Like some PP have said, the Duggars take care of their many children much better than some many people I know with 1 or 2. 

The topic ‘19 and Counting…the show…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors