(Closed) 19 Karat Gold?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You’ll notice slight color variations. Darker shades of gold versus lighter shades of gold depending on what they are alloyed with. Also the strength will change. I have lots of varying types of gold and I can usually tell the difference in them. Altho not sure if 14 and 18 are noticeable like 24 is

Post # 4
307 posts
Helper bee

i have a 19K white gold engagement ring and a 14K white gold promise ring. oh boy can you ever tell the difference. the 14K when I put it beside the 19K looks very yellow. it also appears very dull and scratches easier.

Post # 6
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Do you have your heart set on the 19K? I know it’s kinda random but you could have it plated with rhodium to white gold (maybe you want yellow i don’t know) or reset in a more “convenient” gold color. Unless you just love the 19 =]. I’m sure 18K gold is easy to find

Post # 7
5498 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I had never heard of 19k gold before this…I have only ever heard of even numbers like 10, 18, and 24…

Post # 9
307 posts
Helper bee

19K white gold is big in Canada, Australia, and one other place I cant remember right now. But it is slowly spreading. It is a newer idea, and a lot of jewellers where I live are beginning to recomend it over other white golds as you dont have to redip it.

Post # 10
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Hey Brianalaura,

My Fiance got my e-ring from Spence and it is also 19K.  He told me they have a huge selection there and you can pretty much get any ring in 19K. 

When’s the big day and whereabout Ontario?

Post # 11
3285 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

@ HisBarista —  Haha, thanks for posting!  I never heard of 19k before either and was like, “hmmm, didn’t get that memo!”

Post # 12
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

Hmm. . . I was looking for wedding bands and was told the 19K would have to be redipped too.  Apparently, how often you need it redipped depends a lot on your body chemistry and your job (i.e., how often you wash your hands, etc.)  14K while less pure than 19K is stonger and less likely to scratch.

Post # 13
307 posts
Helper bee

carbon girl… see i was told the other way around and from the wear and scratches between my ering that is 19K and my promise ring that is 14K the 19K is holding up way better. i was told it was stronger actually. and it sure seems that way with mine.

and with what the 19K white gold of mine is set with there is no yellow colour metal in it for it to go yellow in ting. i’ve done some reading up and there are two different versions of 19K it seems out there, one is plated still with yellow alloys, and the other only uses white alloys. depending on what you get is wether you need it redipped or not.

Post # 15
798 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@Brianalaura:i haven’t had any luck finding 19K on line…  What did you end up going with?

Fiance went to a jeweller in the GTA in the diamond district who prefers using 19K, so that’s what my engagement ring is.  Now, looking at bands, we’re going to have to go 19K as well (for me anyways), just so the 2 metals match.  He was told it’s stronger, doesn’t yellow as much, and doesn’t need to be re-dipped as often, it’s also a bit more expensive.

The topic ‘19 Karat Gold?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors