(Closed) 1920s theme?

posted 5 years ago in Themes
Post # 3
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Definitely not! I’m sure anyone who has a barn wedding only does… animal dancing? Line dancing? I don’t know. Twenties is the style of your dress/decorations/whatever, but everyone’s gonna macarena and chicken dance and gangnam style no matter what you play. Have fun!

Post # 4
1348 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

I don’t know anyone who swing dances, but 1920s is a kick ass theme and you can TOTALLY do it without swing dancing!

Post # 6
401 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I’m a swing dancer, is there a reason you don’t want to do it? It doesn’t have to be really difficult. 

Obviously I’m biased, but I think a slow swing dance to Etta James or Ella Fitzgerld would be an amazing bridal waltz!

Post # 7
503 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

First of all – you don’t need to tie your theme in through the music.  We’re doing a very loose  20s-40s ish theme, but not every detail is going to be vintage, even if our music is going to be straight up Hot Jazz.

But, if you do want your music to reflect your theme, keep in mind that swing dancing isn’t your only option.  The fox trot was super popular, as were many other (some incredibly ridiculous) animal dances.  Fancy people would waltz and do other classic ballroom styles, and Blues dancing was defiinitely (and still is definitely) a thing, drawing influence from a dance called the Black Bottom, and from mock ballroom styles done to slow and sultry blues tempo (we call it “ballroomin'” in the scene nowadays, I’m not super clear on the history of it).  IF you want to get silly there are things like the Cake Walk and classic solo jazz steps like the Shorty George and the Mess Around and all sorts of fun things.

And what’s more, what people generally think of as “swing dancing” is more in line with the later forms of Lindy Hop and Charleston, rather than the version that go with the chunkier Jazz of the 20s.  It’s all swing dancing, but it’s not necessarily the zoot suit riot you might associate with the gap commericials of the 90s.  Swing dancing is a social dance that evolved over time, so what we might associate with the Rockabilly version isn’t really exactly what was going on at the Savoy in the 20s!  It changed a lot during the 30s as it became more popular and mainstream, and more stylized through performance (like Whitey’s Lindy Hoppers).

Another form of swing dancing that’s less popularly known but comes from the 20s (though got more popular in the later end of the swing era because it took up less space) was balboa.

So there’s lots of variants of swing dancing that evolved from Charleston (among other sources) that may be more fun for you than swing dancing.  Or you can just dance to whatever makes you happy and let the decor carry your theme.  There’s no rule that determines how far an inspiration element has to go!

Post # 8
6359 posts
Bee Keeper

I know this is going to be a big trend because of the Great Gatsby movie.

I’m looking forward to seeing flapper-style wedding dresses. Should be interesting!

People will probably mix it with modern music often, few people are careful about historical accuracy, so I don’t think you’d be alone in that at all.

Personally I’m not going for this theme (or any) for my wedding, but I do like some antiques from that time period.

Post # 9
530 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I did a 1920s theme and since we couldn’t afford a ‘big band’ we just had a regular DJ and regular music for the dancing.  So guess the theme ‘ended’ once the dancing started but we wanted people to dance and have a good time.  I think we had best of both worlds!

The topic ‘1920s theme?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors