(Closed) 1pm church ceremony – 5 or 5:30 reception start time??

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: Reception start time...
    5pm : (30 votes)
    77 %
    5:30pm : (9 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 3
    1664 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Definitely 5:00.  I think you want to have as small as possible of a gap.  Is there any particular reason you were thinking 5:30?

Post # 4
    560 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Are you doing pictures inbetween with the bridal party?

Post # 6
    1701 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

give the people who aren’t in the photos a little cocktail party while they wait for you

Post # 7
    1664 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Oh, I see.  Are you going to a different location for your pictures?  If so, how far away?

If you are staying around the church, and the church is only 15 minutes away from your reception, that should be plenty of time.  A good photographer should be able to get this done in 1.5 hours I would think- even with a large family.

Do you have a photgrapher yet?  If you are worried, I would talk to your photog about the timing given the size of your family and the shots you want.

Post # 8
    198 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

You will have plenty of time to take pictures with your family after the ceremony, especially with the reception being only 15 minutes away. My ceremony is at 1 and the reception starts at 4 with a cocktail hour before dinner to try and eliminate as much of the “gap” as possible.

Post # 9
    285 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

@cvbee: Agreed! Your guests will get restless if they have three hours to kill between the ceremony and reception. 

Post # 10
    560 posts
    Busy bee

You know what, I’m going to disagree with other posts here. I am having like a 2-3 hour gap between my ceremony and reception. But I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. most people are from out of town, and will have hotels nearby also, it’s what we have to do! Fiance and I are old fashioned and don’t want to see each other before the ceremony so all of the pictures need to be taken between!

For us it’s just how it is. We went to a wedding like this, and there was a large time gap, but it was fine we ended up just going to coffee at a local coffee shop and just spent time with each other. It was really nice actually. I don’t mind the gap in time at all!

Post # 11
    629 posts
    Busy bee

I think 3 hours is a huge time gap if the venues are only 15 minutes apart.  What will your out of town guests do in the meantime?  Is the hotel nearby? 

Post # 12
    1501 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

@MsBrewer: I agree with you, this is what we our doing. Our gap will be about 3.5 hours. But everyone is adults and they can figure out what to do to entertain themselves. Every wedding I’ve been to is like this, and usually a group of us will go out for drinks and some appies in between and just hang out.

Post # 13
    138 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2011

@JessicaDolly:

I’m having a similar issue and posted a question this past weekend. You can probably find it by checking out my profile. Lots of good suggestions there. Hope it helps 🙂

Post # 14
    4419 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

Where will your guests go and what will they do in the time between the wedding and the reception? 

Post # 15
    2216 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I voted for 5:30pm.  I feel like 5:00pm is too early for cocktail hour.  Plus, having the extra time for photos and freshning up in between the church and reception venue will be nice.  Your guests are adults and will find something to do with their time in between the ceremony and reception. 

Post # 16
    4354 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@Mrs.RDV: Agree completely. We are all adults, I don’t need someone to plan  an event for me just to keep me occupied between ceremony and reception. It’s a common thing, and everyone can figure it out ie. go for a drink, snack, nap, romp .. whatever!

The topic ‘1pm church ceremony – 5 or 5:30 reception start time??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors