- Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA
Will it be for an hour, two hours, four hours, or what?
1 hour is typical, they usually book appts in 1 hr slots, so if you plan for longer you’ll want to let them know.
Will it be like on ‘say yes to the dress’ where the consultant follows me around and is constantly talking with me and my party?
Maybe– this depends on the shop and how attentive they are and how busy the day is. When I looked for mine the first 1/2 the woman tried to follow me around and I had to tell her to give me some room (I wasn’t a “typical” bride) and for the 2nd 1/2 she had a double book, so she was between me and another bride which honestly was more comfortable for me.
Will they act rude if i do not intend to make my purchase that day?
If they do you should walk out immediately and blast them on Yelp and any other source you can find. It is common for brides to want multiple trips, you’re spending a lot of money and they should be patient and helpful the ENTIRE time; if they’re not, they don’t deserve your business.
Do i just wear bra and panties under the dresses?
It depends on the dress, but yes, usually– if it’s a strapless or if the cups are built in, then you’ll skip the bra, but this is just like trying on regular clothes.
A few more bits of advice:
1. Keep in mind that YTTD is a very high end salon, more than likely your consultant will be working a lot harder and not have nearly as much time to dedicate to you if she has another bride at the same time; so be polite and be nice– not to say they have a right to be rude or impatient, but just remember they deal with bridezillas all day long, and people are always more accomodating when you are nice first.
2. Even if you know the style you’re looking for, try on a few different style dresses– by mixing things up a bit (i.e. if you think you want a lace dress start there, then try on a ball gown, then a sheath, then an A-frame, then another lace one) This will help you keep them seperate in your head, otherwise they’ll all start to look the same. And you might just find yourself liking something you hadn’t considered before.
3. Bring a small peanut gallery. You don’t want too many cooks as they say.
4. Remember to enjoy yourself! This is supposed to be fun, don’t get stressed if you’re not liking what you see, you’ve got plenty of time to find the perfect dress!