(Closed) 2 bridesmaids are trying to convince me to change my colors

posted 7 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

They should respect your decision and just wear the color you choose. there is no rule against wearing black dresses in the morning

Post # 4
6892 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

Why are they freaking out about wearing black in August? Black is a wonderful “all year” color to me. Of course, that is just me, and I LOVE wearing black. Lol.

If that is what you want to do and what you pictured/find appropriate, I see no reason for you not to do it. I think your other 3 BMs might appreciate that too. Black is the most forgiving color to all body-types, generally.

As far as ideas, I like your sash idea to brighten it up. You could alternate the sash color on the bridesmaids, have accessories in the bright colors, etc.

Post # 5
1003 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

What is wrong with black? Because it is black in the morning?

Post # 6
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I thought you were going to mention some really crazy color!  Black is fine anytime…esp if it’s short.

Post # 7
1667 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Yeah I really don’t see what their problem is. Black is fine all year round.

Post # 8
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Yeah what is wrong with black? why are they freaking out?

Post # 9
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Black is elegant, practical and something they could likely wear again. Instead of giving you a hard time about it, they should be thanking you. Short of asking them to wear chimp suits, they should zip it and feel honored that you asked them to be part of your day.

Post # 10
67 posts
Worker bee

I worked with my bridesmaides most of them are curvy so we picked royal blue.You want them to be comfortable hun I know its your wedding but these are your friends and last I checked black is not a colour its a shade :P. I wanted black too before but was told its bad luck. Just do what your heart is telling you it is your day but friedns are important and you want them to be happy too.

Post # 12
1014 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@Cennet: actually black is a value, not a shade… and while we’re on the subject, white is a value, too.  but seriously, who cares?!

i think the only true requirements of a Bridesmaid or Best Man are to show up on time, and stand up with you wearing a dress of your choosing.  if you want to let them have a say, then by all means, take their opinions into consideration, but if you’ve always dreamed of black cocktail dresses… your BMs need to back off.  black dresses can be so flattering, and definitely rewearable.  i’ve never reworn any floor legnth Bridesmaid or Best Man dress in my closet, and especially wouldn’t rewear any bridesmaid dress in a traditional Bridesmaid or Best Man “color.”

Post # 13
493 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@shellm: Well…. I’ll go out on a limb and agree with your bridesmaids here.  It’s not the month of August so much as the time of day – black just seems kind of wrong for 11am.  What about their dresses being one of your accent colors?  Green would be pretty for August!  

Post # 14
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Black isn’t bad luck- how do you explain all the black-and-white weddings out there? Prior to my own wedding, I was in 7 different weddings in three years. The dresses were all different colors and I was never able to wear any of them again. I would have LOVED for someone to have chosen a black bridesmaid dress. But, it wasn’t my wedding, so I wore whatever the bride asked me to wear and I felt honored that she wanted me to be part of her day. I could understand if you were asking them to wear something outrageous, uncomfortable, or embarrassing, but you’re not. They can choose whatever colors they want when it’s their wedding.

Post # 16
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

My snarky answer:

If they don’t like black, tell them you are thinking about this:

Eighties Halloween Costume Ideas: 80s Fancy Dress

(the one in the middle, but tell them the skirt has to be lime green with blue dots or something they would never wear again)

then they’ll probably be happy with the black.  🙂

The topic ‘2 bridesmaids are trying to convince me to change my colors’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors