(Closed) 2 days in San Diego

posted 6 years ago in Travel
Post # 3
Hostess
11167 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@kala_way:  All those things are awesome and remind me so much of my childhood summers with my grandparents.

Will you be there memorial day weekend? Or after?

I loooove Wild Animal Park and in fact my entire family has a membership. We used to go every weekend just to relax and walk around so I definitely suggest a vist if you can. It is well worth it and not quite a busy as the Zoo.

Post # 5
366 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@kala_way:  I was just there and we really enjoyed doing a bikeride around Coronado Island. It was fun and beautiful plus we stopped and shopped and played on the beach which is supposedly one of the best in the US I read somewhere I think. Enjoy your time there!

Post # 6
1107 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I believe there’s something like a “Go San Diego” Card that you can purchase and gets you into a TON of attractions. Might want to look into it! 

Post # 7
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I got married there, it’s one of my favorite places 🙂

La Jolla cove is awesome – you can go kayaking, there’s a great burger place, and the Museum of Contemporary Art is awesome (that’s where we got married). I looooove Torrey Pines State Park. It’s breathtaking, cheap, has great easy hikes, wonderful beach, peaceful marsh, and Roberto’s – my favorite Mexican place ever. Del Mar Powerhouse Beach is also awesome – and there’s downtown Del Mar with tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

I think the San Diego Wild Animal Park (45 mins outside of town) and the San Diego Zoo are also very worthwhile, but if you’re more in the mood for a relaxing beach/hike/restaurant type of 2-days, i’d just go with Powerhouse, Torrey Pines, and La Jolla.

Post # 8
2011 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@kala_way:  If you’re into rustic dining, try the Hash House near downtown for breakfast. HUGE portions but everyting on the menu is amazing. There are only a few locations in CA and Las Vegas, so if you’re in the area, I highly recommend trying it. 

Post # 10
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Yes to Balboa (you can spend all of like ten bucks and kill the entire day easy) and yes to Torrey Pines and any kind of cliffs around La Jolla.  Although I’m biased because that’s where Fiance proposed- on the cliffs overlooking the ocean at sunset. 🙂

I really enjoyed the zoo, too- it’s not cheap, but I seriously had an amazing time there.

Post # 11
2073 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Do you know where you are going to stay yet?  If you are looking to splurge a little, the La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla is beautiful and is right in the middle of a really fun part of La Jolla and has beautiful views of the beach. The Manchester Grand Hyatt in the Gaslamp is stunning and is downtown so it’s easy to get around.  The lobby of that hotel looks like it could belong in Italy and there is also a great bar near the top of the hotel that is a beautiful spot to grab a drink at night and look out over the harbor and onto Coronado Island.

If you like Mexican food, I highly recommend going to Old Town and eating at Casa de Reyes.  They have amazing food and Old Town is a cute little area to walk around in for an hour or so.

Torrey Pines is beautiful.  My Fiance loves hiking there. Between Sunset Cliffs and La Jolla Cove, I’d pick La Jolla.  It’s a bit more relaxing there.  Eddie V’s is an amazing steak/seafood restaurant in La Jolla.  It’s my favorite birthday/anniversary splurge spot for dinners.

Perhaps visit the monument on top of Mt. Soledad.  It overlooks La Jolla and on a clear day you can see all up and down the coast.  It is such a stunning view.  It’s also a war memorial and is a very moving site.  

It may be tough to go out to Julian if you are going to be here for just 2 days and want to do all the other things you listed.  It’s a bit of a far drive and definitely a place one needs to visit during the day since it is such a tiny little town.  

The is a great dessert place in the Hillcrest area called Extraordinary Desserts.  If you love sweets then this place is a must.  It’s actually not too far from Balboa Park.  

Enjoy your trip and happy anniversary!

The topic ‘2 days in San Diego’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors