(Closed) 2. Do you hire a professional photographer ?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Is it important for you that your photographer is absolutely a professional ?
    Yes, I trust only to professional photographers : (49 votes)
    80 %
    No, I can hire a studient / non professional if he's good : (12 votes)
    20 %
  • Post # 3
    826 posts
    Busy bee

well our engagement pics were done for free from a guy who is building is portfolio and they came out amazing. its not important to me as long as they have some experience with weddings.. its your preference though.. i attached couple pics that the guy took at our engagement session..

[attachment=968048,119304] [attachment=968048,119305]

Post # 5
    826 posts
    Busy bee

actually he has no experience but after seeing this we were in awee. He is offering his services at our wedding also so im happy we got someone that is really talented.:D thank you for the compliments 😀

Post # 6
    Hostess
    16213 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

We are having a pro. That said, if you can find a non-pro who does great work, good for you! 🙂

Post # 7
    605 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

We originally planned to hire a student and ask a couple of talented relatives to provide photo back-up during ceremony (something they’d probably do anyway). But, the student seemed nervous (probably in over his head) and stopped responding to our emails.

There’s a reputable photography school in our neighborhood. I thought about asking them for referrals of top students or recent grads who might want the portfolio experience. If you want to hire a student photographer, this is the what I’d suggest (we found our student on Craigslist).

In the meantime, I talked to a couple of local photographers. One quoted me $1800 for the day. I asked if she could do a smaller package (our wedding isn’t that big and we don’t want tons of photos). She said she’d do $225/hr for 3 hour minimum. (We’ll have her for 3-4.) If there’s a professional photographer you like, see is s/he will negotiate to save costs. Good luck!

Post # 8
    21 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2007

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to hire a professional photographer. You get what you pay for, and hobbyists do not know how to handle the varying light conditions at a wedding. Please trust me when I tell you that you will immensely regret your decision if you go with uncle joe with a fancy camera. It is not the equipment, but the talent, knowledge and experience behind the lens that create quality images.

Post # 9
    209 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I consider my photographer a pro and he’s a college student. My university has the #2 Photography schools in the country sooo I’m pretty comfortable with most of their students since they have plenty of experience. He’s been doing it for several years and I couldn’t have gotten a better deal for the quality of work. 

A student took these pictures so I say go for it! 

[attachment=968632,119359]

Post # 10
    2015 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

For us, we wanted a professional and didn’t want to hire someone just starting out. But, we also decided photography was one of our two highest priorities from the beginning, so we were okay paying a pretty penny for it … and we did. And we don’t regret our decision one bit.

If your overall budget is extremely limited, however, searching for someone who’s just starting out  couldn’t hurt. Just be sure you’re happy with their previous work and ask tons of questions. And, make sure they have a contract that binds them to the services on your wedding day.

But yeah, for us, we needed an amazing photographer. When it’s all said and done, the photos are the one thing that will last forever and be looked at the most. You really don’t want to skimp on them if at all possible.

Post # 11
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

We went with a photographer who worked as a second photographer for a large photography studio.  she has started her own business and is still a second photographer for the studio if she has time but so far her business has been keeping her busy.  I think she has a good mix of experience, so i wouldn’t catagorize her as starting out or professional either. i just really liked her work and her credientials worked out, so we booked!

Post # 12
    4547 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

We were going to go that route until I fell in love with our photographer. I think ultimatly it made me too nervous but my Future Sister-In-Law did it and her pics turned out great!

Post # 13
    520 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

If you don’t go with a pro, make sure to check out a lot of their work…  Your wedding date is one you don’t get to redo.  (Said that, I’ve seen bad pro pics too, so either way, check their work!)

Post # 14
    30 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2010

You should find what works for you.  We tried out a friend who is a hobbyist first, who happens to also be in the wedding so he only took engagement pics.  We liked them a lot.  We then decided to go with a professional and did an engagement session with him and they are a totally different style.  I’m really happy with round two and cannot wait to see our wedding pics.  Both were in our budget, it just took a lot of researching, but it is totally worth it.  I would start looking early on and look at their portfolio.  Best of Luck!

MNC Photography and MCPhotography

We are going with the photojournalist style… MNC Photography.

The topic ‘2. Do you hire a professional photographer ?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors