2 dogs better than 1?

posted 2 years ago in Pets
Post # 16
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

I second everyone who said that getting a second dog was absolutely the best thing we could’ve done. All the puppy boredom and destruction went away when we get our second dog. Our first dog is much happier now and they absolutely LOVE each other. They are attached at the hip. They have completely different personalities but it works perfectly for them and for us. I can’t imagine it any other way.

Post # 18
1475 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2017

We have two dogs and its the best! They play with each other and go invstigate things together and wait for each other – its super cute. However, I’d recommend fostering first if you can. We adopted a male dog first, and tried another male with him and it became apparent in the car ride home it wasn’t going to work. We immediately turned around and switched him out with a girl dog we’d also been considering – and she is the perfect sister for him!

Post # 20
1069 posts
Bumble bee

Husband and I started off with 1 dog, a girl. She was approx 2-3 when I decided to get her a brother. She was always a little off when it came to other dogs (especially on the walks). We started off by keeping them somewhat separate. One would go into the crate while the other was out so they got use to each other. We slowly started to walk them together, which helped. Now they are the best of friends, they even cuddle together in the same bed. I tell husband getting her a brother was the best thing I could do for her. 

Post # 21
790 posts
Busy bee

It really depends on the two dogs & how they mesh. I got a second dog because I thought it’d keep my first from getting lonely. My oldest is10 (11 in November) & my 2nd just turned 8 (Git both as puppies)  My second really wasn’t a great fit for us & is mean to my older boy (I think because the oldest is blind & therefore can’t fight back the same). I love both my boys & no way would I get rid of either but they don’t love one another & my oldest was indifferent to the addition from the beginning.   Just something to consider.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors