(Closed) 2-Door car with infant?

posted 6 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@totheislnds:  Did it and hated it!  It was awful on my back!  Even a sedan is really hard on your back.  Those baby carriers are heavier than you think.  It doesn’t get any easier once the baby is out of the carrier either.  Can’t tell you how many times I hit the babies head on the top of the car because I didn’t bend down low enough!

I think my oldest was 6 months old before we finally got the mini van.

Post # 4
96 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I used to have a 2 door car. During that time I babysat my brothers kids for a week when he went on vacation.

Trust me, you are going to want 4 doors!

Post # 5
1487 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Another person here saying you’ll want the 4 door.  You’ll actually be out more than you think with your baby–a million doctor visits in the first few months, plus all the diaper/wipe/food trips.  

Especially when you’re still healing, there’s no way that you’ll want to crouch in the backseat messing with the infant carrier.  Just thank your husband profusely for wanting you to have it easier, and drive the 4 door.

Post # 6
3241 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My sister had a two door when she had her first son. She hated it. She dealt with it for the first 6 months or so, then they bought a Volvo station wagon. So I would say it’s do-able, but not fun.

Post # 7
6824 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Definately going to want 4 doors. Getting a baby in & out of the car seat or taking the car seat with you is going to be a pain doing a 2 door. 

Post # 8
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think you’ll definitely want a four door! I don’t have a baby yet, but I’ve watched plenty of kids and it is such a pain getting the car seat in & out. A lot of friends have also switched cars after having a baby because the two door was just too annoying. And you’ll be out doing way more errands that you think!

Post # 9
1659 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I had a 2-door Honda Accord when we had Dirty Delete…it was doable but miserable on my back! I traded it for a 4-door VW Jetta and the Jetta is perfect. Can fit carseat #2 in there too, easily. 

Post # 10
3135 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

@totheislnds:  You will probably WANT but not NEED a different car. I mean, my mom raised my sister and I driving a Chevette and all 3 of us survived.

Post # 11
280 posts
Helper bee

getting a carrier in a 4 door can be a pita. I’m pregnant (first trimester) and baby sit a 3 month old and some times just getting the kid in the car is hard. For sure take your hubby up on the 4 door deal. couldn’t imagine doing it in a 2.

Post # 12
699 posts
Busy bee

My daughter was a surprise and we both had 2 door cars. My SO bought a 4 door and then got into an accident so we were left with my 2 door car. It’s definitely more of a pain but it’s definitely do able. Now that she’s older and walking and in a forward facing seat it’s much easier. getting her in and out with a carrier was a pain but it definitely wasn’t enough to push us to getting another car. My car is paid off and great on gas.

I have an ’06 honda civic to give you an idea.

Post # 13
1306 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have a 2-door car and I love it. my daughter is 4.5 now and it is so easy.

When she was still in the infant carrier, I had the base installed directly behind the driver seat, and could easily swing her into place. Getting her out was a little more challenging, but she was secure in the carrier so I was not too concerned if it was bumped a little on the door frame etc. My daughter’s father had an SUV and it was a royal pain to lift the carrier up into the car, also to secure her later on in a forward facing buckle seat (not too hard with the 5-point harness).

Once she was walking and in a forward facing seat, it was much easier. I would get in the car crouched in front of her seat with my butt kinda sitting on top of the back of the driver seat (which of course was tilted forward), then lift her into the car and secure her in her seat. With a 4-door car I found a lot more twisting/stretching of my body to maneuver her into the car, which was not ideal for me.

Also, I am only 5’2, which I think contributes to my difficulty with my ex’s SUV.

Post # 14
1245 posts
Bumble bee

I had always read that the safest spot for an infant carrier is the middle, not the end, so something else for the OP to think about.

I’m in a cold weather state, so having to maneuver to the middle with the infant carrier was a PITA.  Even in nice weather it’s not easy.

Post # 15
1306 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

The safest place in the vehicle for a child is in the rear middle seat. Unfortunately, some vehicles have odd shaped middle seats creating a hump that makes stabilizing a car seat there impossible (which is that case in my car). No matter how much you tighten the strap, it would still wiggle. Some vehicles do not have a middle seat at all. The second safest spot is behind the driver, which is where I chose to place my daughter’s seat.

OP and all other parents: I srongly urge you and your Darling Husband to go to your local police or fire station to have your car seats installed professionally.

Post # 16
107 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

Since you will be staying home, and not needing to go out every day, could you take your husbands car the days you know you will be out, and then the other days, you would have your car available, if you needed to use it, so he could still drive his car?

Just a thought!

The topic ‘2-Door car with infant?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors