(Closed) 2 dresses – how do i chooooose?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I say no matter what keep within you budget.  It does seem that you are not in love with the short dress.  I would keep looking, you will find something withing your budget the is exactly what you want.  Don’t settle on a dress you will regret later.

Post # 4
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

They are both very different looks.

You have time – I would look for one similar to the Amsale, but for a cheaper price.

It’s a fairly simple style, you shouldn’t have any trouble.

Post # 5
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

That first one is amazing. I’m usually partial to a tea length – my own wedding dress is tea length, but in this case that first one is far more memorable. I mean, when are you ever going to get a chance to wear a dress that fabulous ever again?!

Post # 6
507 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I say keep looking…you have time, and you will probably be able to get something very similar to the Amsale gown for less! If you get a dress just because it’s cheaper, you might end up regretting it. At the same time, there are SO many beauitful gowns to choose from, at SO many price points…I’m sure you can find something that makes you swoon at a more reasonable price!

Post # 7
1872 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

For me, the budget is near sacrosanct, so don’t get sucked into the “this is the only time you’ll ever be able to wear that dress and look fabulous!” Might be true in that you can’t wear a white Amsale to a holiday cocktail party, but in the end, it is only one night and you’ll look fabulous in a lot of things. And you don’t want to be paying off the dress for months after the wedding is over.

But I agree–there are plenty of dresses that share the look of that Amsale. The one-shoulder thing is a nice detail, but I’m sure that you could get a seamstress to add one to a strapless dress (with the bow to match) if you can’t find a similar fit-and-flare. Same goes for the little tailoring at the back.

For the record, though, I love the short dress. I think it’s fun and frilly and just as special as a long traditional one.

Post # 8
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I love them both and agree that you have lots of time to find a lookalike.  That Amsale is getting a lot of media attention, which means some knock-offs are coming soon!

Post # 9
1184 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

well you certainly have two great options. have you looked online for a preowned amsale in that style? or as a PP said, wait for some designer knock-offs to come out soon as you’re still a ways out from the wedding. i’d say if you can find the amsale dress or a similar version of it for a price within your bidget to go fr that one, but otherwise the short dress is a great back-up.

Post # 10
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Oooh, I can see why you are torn. They are both beautiful, but that Amsale is great. I bet if you look around, you can find one similar. I think Martina Liana has one that looks a lot like that. I would give you a link, but my work computer won’t let me view that website! I will post a pic later! 🙂

Post # 11
2588 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Don’t kill your budget or get sucked into the “You can only wear that one time!” thing. I agree with @JennyW1. Paying off the dress months after is a mistake, no matter how “fabulous” it is.

Post # 12
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I agree with the other bees…if the first one is the one you love, try to find something that is similar but cheaper. You don’t sound at all like you are in love with the short dress…and you should be in love with your dress when you pick it. 🙂  Good luck!

The topic ‘2 dresses – how do i chooooose?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors