(Closed) 2 Hour Commute?

posted 6 years ago in Career
  • poll: Is a 2 hour commute bearable?
    Yes (I have experience and I think it is worth it) : (8 votes)
    6 %
    No (I have experience and I do not think it is worth it) : (58 votes)
    46 %
    Yes (I do not have experience but I think it is worth it) : (1 votes)
    1 %
    No (I do not have experience but I do not think it is worth it) : (58 votes)
    46 %
  • Post # 3
    2214 posts
    Buzzing bee

2 hours one way or total?  If it’s 2 hours in the morning and after work, then no, I don’t think it’s worth it.  One hour each way isn’t bad though.

Post # 4
    5786 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2011

I have a 90 minute each way commute, don’t do it.

Post # 5
    5075 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

two hours total is doable.  My commute right now is about 1:45 total and I love my alone time with the radio.

But no way could I do two hours one way  

don’t forget to factor in the cost of gas.

Post # 6
    3943 posts
    Honey bee

2 hours each way, or roundtrip?

I had a 3-4 hour roundtrip commute for about a year, and it was brutal. When we started to get snow and the winter hit, I hated it even more.

I left early and got home late. Too late to go to the gym or cook dinner. I gained weight because I was too tired to cook healthy dinners or take care of myself. I basically lived in my car and when the weekends rolled around, I was too tired to do anything. However, I was also working 60+ hours a week, so that didn’t help either.

I know people who have done it for years and are fine with it, but for myself, I just couldn’t make it work.

Post # 7
    14486 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

Each way??  HELL NO.  That’s 4 hours a day!!  Thats like driving from Boston to NYC … every.. single… day.  I couldnt do it.

Total?  Yes.  30 minute or kess commute is ideal imo, but 45-1 hr is pretty standard.

Post # 8
    13012 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I hate commuting regardless, so to me, it’s not worth it.  2 hours (one way or round trip) is a long commute, and lot of hours lost.

Post # 9
    3136 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2018

45 min –  1 hour each way is tops. think of this way:

2 hours each way= 4 hrs a day. 4 hrs/dayx5 days/wk= 20hrs a week. that’s a part time job.

not to mention gas and wear and tear. personally, it’s not something i would do.

Post # 10
    9056 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

2 hours each way is completely unbearable. I live 1:15 on the way to work and 45 min home and it’s a bigchunk of my day but dh and I both work in a very underprivileged area that we wouldn’t want to live in but the area immediately surrounding is ridiculously expensive. 

Post # 11
    6248 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 1900

2 hours each way?!  No thank you.  He will barely have time for anything except work/commute.  And that’s assuming no traffic, no bad weather, no road construction, no car trouble, etc.

Post # 13
    1110 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

It may not be better than no job at all considering how much he would spend in gas every day! I wouldn’t do it, maybe for a short period but not for long term no.

Post # 14
    913 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

No, that is insane. I used to have a commute that was 2 hours each way by bus and train. (Lived in the city/worked in the suburbs.) It was awful. It eats up your entire day, and I can only imagine a car commute would be so much worse because at least I could read or rest on the train. Don’t do it. It’s not worth it to live in a city you love if your commute means you don’t have any time to enjoy it.

Post # 15
    573 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I used to commute about 3 hours round trip and even though it was an easy commute on a train I would say it is NOT worth it. I would never commute 2 hours each way. He would be looking at a 12+ hour day with commute factored in. Not a great quality of life for him IMO.

The topic ‘2 Hour Commute?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors