(Closed) 2-hour open call bar OR 4-hour beer & wine bar?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
  • poll: if you were a guest at my wedding, what would you prefer?
    2-hour open bar with call liquors : (12 votes)
    10 %
    4-hour beer & wine bar : (103 votes)
    90 %
  • Post # 3
    2183 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

I would do the beer and wine bar, but I could be biased because that’s what we’re doing. My logic is that it’s likely people will enjoy beer or wine (or both) and to have access for the whole reception would be nice, We may add a signature drink to our cocktail hour, but that’s all the hard liquor that may attend.

Post # 5
    7431 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

We did beer and wine, because we had to buy our own alcohol. No one complained, and since we didn’t have certain rules to adhere to, we told our friends if they wanted to bring something in they could. Only a couple people did, and no one else complained

Post # 6
    1115 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

We wanted a full bar but couldn’t afford it. Ended up doing beer/wine with one signature cocktail to keep it in check. (Did margaritas since we were in a Mexican restaurant.)

Nobody complained.

Post # 7
    40 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I would have a signature drink or 2 and some affordable beer and wine. Keg beer is cheaper and you don’t have to worry about glass bottles.

P.s. My fiance is military and we went to the BX/PX class six for the kegs! Way way way cheaper!

If you’re by a Costco or Sam’s that Sells alcohol check there for prices because they tens to be very affordable and always ask for a discount based on quantity no matter where you shop for the alcohol.

Post # 8
    352 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I am doing just beer and wine and that’s it!!!!  I have to provide my own alcohol as the venue is a victorian estate and there is no bar.  I am doing open bar beer and wine only

Post # 9
    579 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I voted for 2 hr cocktails because i dont drink beer or wine. But if you have something for the non bear and wine drinkers i think the 4 hr option is better!

Post # 10
    2651 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

Why not do the beer and wine, but ask if they could do a cash bar for hard liqour, that way, those that want cocktails can have them, but no more money comes out of your pocket?

Post # 11
    4676 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Most wedding I’ve been to have just had open beer and soda, so as a guest I would not be offended if I had to pay for my own drinks.  

Post # 12
    4887 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I think 4 hour beer and wine is a ‘safer’ bet because people will absolutely HAMMER your open bar early if they know it’s ending before the party is over.  Double-fisting, stocking up, etc.  This leads to super drunk guests and a possibly higher bar tab by the end of the night.

I second open beer/wine with cash liquor.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that at all.

Post # 13
    526 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Definitely beer and wine.  A lot of weddings I’ve gone to have had this, and nobody has complained.  People who don’t drink beer and wine are probably used to it.

Post # 14
    550 posts
    Busy bee

My package at the venue includes beer/wine for the entire reception so I saw no need to upgrade. People can get drunk on their own dime, not mine!

Post # 15
    5667 posts
    Bee Keeper

We’ll be doing an open bar but out of those choices I’d say 4 hour beer and wine bar. I like the idea of hosting the whole event rather than half and KristenGettingMarried made a good point about guests being wasted due to stocking up in the first two hours.

Post # 16
    3081 posts
    Sugar bee

I like the idea of access for 4 hours of beer and wine, and depending if you are buying or if you are getting the alcohol package through your venue, see the added cost of having one signature drink, and make it a general cocktail that all liquor drinkers would likely want to drink. 

The topic ‘2-hour open call bar OR 4-hour beer & wine bar?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors