2 hour reception too short?

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
2714 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - St Peter\'s Church, East Maitland, and Bella Vista, Newcastle

I think it will be just fine.  What time of day is your reception planned for?

Post # 4
1412 posts
Bumble bee

If your reception is during a meal time, you need to serve a meal. Apps and cake won’t cut it. Either move up the time of your wedding to afternoon, or serve a meal!

Post # 5
3727 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

People likely won’t have a chance to eat dinner before your wedding because they’ll be getting ready and traveling to the ceremony. I’d be aggravated if I took off work early (which many people might have to), stayed out late (10 pm is late for me on a work night), and then ended up starving on top of that. Unless your hor dourves are heavy enough to make a meal then you need to reconsider logistics. 

Post # 6
6835 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2016

I don’t think 2 hours is a problem for just cake and apps. What I DO think is a problem is having a reception during dinnertime and not serving a meal. 

Post # 7
1112 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: City, State

You are brave to do this. I would be really upset if someone did this to me. I will remember your wedding for a long time, not for good reasons.

Post # 8
3451 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - City, State

2 hours is fine, and I understand that you have the start time at 7 to try and give people extra time so maybe they don’t have to take a day off of work. I agree with PPs that unless it’s heavy apps, people are going to end up very hungry as they likely won’t have eaten since they’re lunch break at work. I’d either move the time later (I think making it earlier will just make it more difficult for people to get there, and making it later will give people a chance to eat beforehand) or serve a meal/very heavy apps.

Post # 9
13674 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Without alcohol and dancing, two hours is more than sufficient.  But make sure you have LOTS of apps, because most of your guests might have to come from work and/or not have time to eat before and will be starving. 

Post # 10
159 posts
Blushing bee

It is ok as long as guests know it all beforehand.  I would be upset about no food, no dancing, and such short reception if I weren’t told beforehand. People need to make sure they eat before and are not expecting a party. For example, someone could take a whole next day off from work because they expect to stay up late etc.

Also are people traveling? 

If I were in a different city I probably wouldn’t bother coming and would appreciate the details in advance. 

Post # 11
1430 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

Check in with your restaurant to make sure doing apps is actually cheaper than plated meals or a buffet. Quite often, the apps become the more expensive option because you have to order so many to ensure there is enough food

if your reception is at 7, you really should be providing a dinnertime meal. 

Post # 15
717 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

That really doesn’t sound like enough food to me. If you’re going to have your wedding at 7pm and you’re only serving apps and cake I wouldn’t expect people to stay the whole two hours without dancing or alcohol. If it were me I’d be gone to go find dinner because work the next morning, I wouldn’t even hang around until 10 because I’m not grabbing dinner that late. This sounds aggravating for your guests, they may end up waiting around for real food that never comes. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors