(Closed) 2 hours between

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
3267 posts
Sugar bee

Personally I’d see if you can change the timings. 2 hours is a long wait. As a guest I would be unlikely to go to any tourist attractions. Maybe a list of restaurants and bars would be better, but then again it may make you look cheap in a here go off and entertain, feed, water yourselves for 2 hours then return when it suits me kind of way. (I don’t think this is your intent)

Post # 4
2313 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Our ceremony and reception are at 2 different locations in town. We purposely scheduled a 2 hour break between the beginning of the ceremony and the beginning of the reception, which will leave about a 90 minute window between the ceremony ending and the reception beginning, because we wanted to leave time for photos, and for people to get across town. Our reception is in downtown Savannah so I think many guests will just wander around and sightsee a little bit before the reception starts. I put up a few pieces of info about what there is to do and see downtown on our wedding website. Nobody has complained about the 90 minute gap yet. It makes their lives a lot easier too because they’re not rushing from one place to the next worried about being late. They can take their time or go to their hotel and freshen up if they want.

Post # 5
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I think a little “walking tour” would be awesome if your church or ceremony is close enough to some cool stuff. Make a little map for them with points of interest.

If I were from out of town I’d totally spend those two hours either going to a nearby bar for a few drinks or checking stuff out nearby. But I’m totally the explorer-type.

Post # 6
1501 posts
Bumble bee

I have about 4 hours in between. But they are in different locations. Every wedding I’ve been to there has been 2 – 3 hours in between. Most of the time we go for drinks and appies to occupy ourselves.

For our wedding everyone is from out of town. The way I see it is they are all adults and can figure out what to do in between themselves.

Post # 7
227 posts
Helper bee

I’m also concerned about this. My church wedding is at 3 and will last about 30 minutes, but reception does not start until 6 and its about 20 minutes away. 2.5 hour gap!!

Most of my family and guests are from out of town (45 min or more away) and will likely be staying at the hotel. They’re also drinkers, so I imagine they’ll want to go check in, relax and maybe crack open a beer or two. We have a bus coming to get them from the hotel and bring them to the reception. However, FI’s family is from Philly only about 20 minutes away and will most likley be driving home. I’m worried about what they will do in between. It’s in a suburban area so its not like there’s a “walking downtown” or anything. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know. I wish we could have changed the times, but that’s the latest we could book the church and the earliest we could get the reception (at a gold course).

I added some info to our wedding website to tell them about stores in the area if they need ot stop anywhere, and a park nearby. Non-hotel guests could also hang in the lobby which has couches and a TV but no bar. And, the golf course bar/restaurant is open downstairs but I don’t need people eating/drinking before the wedding. I’m nervous about this too, but not much I can do now…

Post # 8
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I really had a battle with this myself…our ceremony starts at 3 and will last about a half hour. Our cocktail hour (which is at the hotel everyone is staying at) won’t start till 5:30 and it’s just down the street from the church.  I talked with many people and of course EVERYONE has their opinion.  I finally took the advice from a co-worker who said “this is the only time you’ll ever have to get great pictures of the most important day of your life, you’re throwing this whole grand party and if people get upset that they had to kill an hour or two relaxing in their hotel room or grabbing a beer ….then they don’t understand what the day is about”  So I’m keeping with the schedule and letting it go.  Personally, i like a little downtime between ceremony and reception.  It give me time to buy a card, freshen up, get a quick cocktail in.  Don’t stress!

Post # 9
591 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I have the same issue. Our ceremony (latest time according to church) starts at 2 p.m. and our cocktail hour starts at 5 p.m. We don’t have quite as many Out of Town guests as some of you, but there are probably about 25% or so. They are all staying near either my FI’s parents house (30-40 minutes away) or near my parent’s house (30-40 minutes away in another direction) so it doesn’t make sense for them to drive to their hotel or our parents’ houses in between only to turn around. My Future Sister-In-Law asked if we’re providing something for them to do. But I kind of feel like people can figure out what to do with themselves for a couple hours. The reception site is 20 minutes away from the church. So they can go to a nearby restaurant and relax and have a drink or something. I feel bad but there is not much I can do. I’m wondering if I should provide a list of restaurants, addresses and phone numbers for those from out of town.

Post # 11
4582 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

As a guest, I wouldn’t mind the idea of walking around and sightseeing but I probably wouldn’t in dressy clothes and shoes. I don’t think it’s a huge deal – I’d probably just go back to my hotel for a while.

Post # 13
2161 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Our wedding is at 2pm and the reception doesn’t start until 6pm.   It will be perfect for pictures, but some of our guests may find it hard.   Luckily, most of our guests are local, and mom is going to have many of them over for a drink.

Post # 14
593 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I have the same situation.  Church is at 2pm, cocktail hour starts at 5pm.  There is about a 20 minute drive from one to the other.  I feel bad, as I have always been annoyed when other weddings had this, so I am making little snack treats that will have this on them:

“We are of with our photographer

Surely grinning ear to ear

Here are some things

You can find to do near:

-A coffee at (local coffee shop)

-A beer at the mills

-A stroll down the Paint Creek Trail

Accept this treat

As a sign of our affection

We’re looking forward

To seeing you at the reception.”

Inside the little brown papaer bags (like lunch bags, but small versions) will be either peanuts in the shell, kettle corn, warm donuts, apple pies.  I know its not necessary but I think its a nice little extra that I figure I can DIY for pretty cheap! 🙂

Post # 15
227 posts
Helper bee

@jboltz19: that’s a really cute idea. I might just steal that! unfortunately our wedding then reception are kind of out in the middle of suburbia so there’s only chain restaurants and strip malls around. But maybe I will just re-direct non-hotel guests to stay at the hotel and have a little snack/bottle of water waiting for them.

@hibiscusgirl: putting addresses would be helpful, but I wonder if you really want to direct them to a restaurant? I thought about this too, and I’m worried people will start drinking/fill up before the reception. I feel like nowadays, people talk so much through email/phone, etc that they can coordinate among themselves something to do in between.

The topic ‘2 hours between’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors