(Closed) 2 Maids of Honor?

posted 6 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 3
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Alot of people have 2 or 3 Maid of Honors now. 

The only drama that ever occurs from this is when the life long friend feels that she is more entitled to that role then the most recent friend.

Post # 4
1513 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@jazzmediamv:  i think you can just ask them to both do it. ive been to weddings with 2 Maid/Matron of Honor before!

Post # 5
1237 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I was in a wedding last year that had 2 maids of honor and it worked great! It was the bride’s sister and her best friend since elementary school

Post # 6
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I have two maids. They are my cousins–I don’t have any sisters so they have been basically my sisters..I couldn’t pick just one of them. But obviously since they are sisters..they don’t really have any hard feelings towards one another.

Post # 8
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2012

This has beeb a total disaster for me. 

When I got engaged 16 months ago, I asked my best friend from college to be a MoH and mentioned that I was planning to ask my sister to be one as well.  Somewhere along the way, friend MoH forgot about sister MoH and it was like I was springing it on her all of a sudden.  She was very upset that she “would not get to be the most special at the wedding” and this has seriously damaged our friendship and created a lot of extra stress.  She has been dragging her feet on all wedding-related business (would not get fitted for her dress, way late to pick up her dress–dress shop had to call me twice about her–and this week she bailed on planning the bachelorette party, which is 3 weeks away because I was “badgering her” by asking when she intended to send invites and implying she is “inept” by reminding her that there isn’t much time left. I now feel really bad for my sister (who has been amazing about the whiole thing) having to share the honorific title with my friend.

If you do decide to have two, be very clear from the beginning that there will be 2.  I have seen weddings where this has worked out perfectly–maybe it has to do with the maturity of the ladies involved. 

Post # 9
3697 posts
Sugar bee

You can split it up how you like – go with whatever seems to fit with their personalities.

When one of my two sisters got married, she had both me and the other sister as MOHs. Other sister is more of a “girly girl” while I’m more of a “take-charge” person, so she asked me to do the duties that had to do with keeping things running smoothly at the reception, etc., while my sister handled the tweaking her veil and train, carrying her bouquet, etc.

The one thing that could be tricky is figuring out who will be the legal witness and sign the marriage certificate – traditionally that is the Best Man and Maid/Matron of Honor. However, there is no legal requirement that the signers be one of each gender – they just both need to be adults, so you could have the two MOH’s be the legal witnesses and both sign, if you wanted. I don’t know for sure but I think you need to put down the names of your witnesses at the time you apply for the license, so you would need to have that decided a little ahead of the actual wedding day. (That may vary by state, though – not sure.)

Post # 10
3471 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

For my sister’s wedding her best friend and I shared the title– it worked out fine, no real explination or anything needed. 

Post # 11
691 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I have 2 sisters and when the one got married she had both of us as her maids of honor. It worked out fine.

Post # 12
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

There’s no problem with two. I’m having a maid & matron of honor because one of the girls is married but I would probably still have two if they were both single. I too have been to several weddings where there was two maid of honor.

Post # 13
4194 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

I’m having two matrons of honor, and it’s been fine. One lives an hour away from me, the other three, so they’ve had different roles- DC Maid/Matron of Honor helped me pick out the dress, NYC Maid/Matron of Honor has helped more with logistics (she’s a part-time DOC.)

I’m having the Maid/Matron of Honor who lives closer (and has done more) hold my flowers/sign license. They’ll be doing the toast together- it’s worked out really well.

The topic ‘2 Maids of Honor?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors