(Closed) 2 photographers, 1 is free, would u?

posted 6 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: free photographer, but is an amature still learning and trying to get portfolio and experience up.

yes, sign me UP!

im not sure. depends how much experience they already had

naaah, id stick just with the photographer that i am paying for to do their thing

• Post # 2
    7892 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

If you have both the experienced and amateur photographers, you know you’ll definitely get at least some high quality pictures. I suppose you might be taking a risk if the amateur is entirely in charge of certain photos, but hopefully, the amateur has at least taken some photos in the past. 

Post # 3
    521 posts
    Busy bee

If you have a contract with your photographer, most photographers have in their contract that they are the only professional allowed to photograph the wedding.

Unless this photographer is their 2nd photographer or assistant and not just a random amateau photographer, most will not be happy to have an ammature photographer following behind them and making it harder to do their job. Make sure to ask your photographer and view your contract just to double check!:)

Post # 4
    443 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

We had 2 awesome photographers and the angles they got were amazing! If it’s free why not?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  1234sophia.
    Post # 5
    562 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Maybe, if it was someone I know, and if my hired photog was okay with it.

Post # 6
    1991 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I’d imagine you pro photographer may have an issue with it, but I honestly don’t see how it could hurt you if you’re not paying anything.

Post # 7
    1839 posts
    Buzzing bee

As long as your hired photographer is ok with having a second person running around snapping shots I would say go for it! For the cost of what, their meal, you get a whole second lot of photos. Photographers often have very different ways of looking at the same thing so you should get a really great variety of photos this way!

Post # 8
    7326 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
    nowmarriedgirl:  Well it’s against my contract to have anyone else “shooting in a professional manor”. IE: Cousin Jimmy or Uncle Bob hanging around with their DSLR shooting away. It’s distracting, and the average guest can’t tell the difference from a distance as to who the professional is. This means that they’re looking the the wrong camera during formals, and it’s just a really bad experience. Not to mention it’s really really poor etiquette for anyone wanting to get into wedding photography.

If this free person is someone your hired photographer is offering to you, by all means go for it. I’ve occasionally let couples know that my intern who is along to carry gear and hold lighting will occasionally be shooting. While I always have a dedicated second shooter, I let them know that she’s still learning, but they will most definitely get any useable shots included in their gallery. It doesn’t cost them anything, and lets my inters get a feel for the fast-paced shooting at a wedding. 

Post # 9
    510 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

My cousin had someone contact her and ask if they could do this, at her wedding, she accepted because why not! the paid photographer did traditional photos, were posed and nice, but she felt they were a bit boring. The volunteer photog did great candid shots, getting ready, artsy shots of flowers and rings and all the little things you want to remember from your day.she ended up buying a crap load of pribts from the volunteer trainee instead of the paid photographer. Id do it, they may get different angles.

Post # 10
    2008 posts
    Buzzing bee

If they definitely knew to stay out of the pro’s way and not end up in the background of the other pics then I’d say go for it!!

Post # 11
    2008 posts
    Buzzing bee

Just out of curiosity, will this 2nd photographer be coming with the pro or is this completely seperat? If the amateur doesn’t have anything to do with the pro’s business then this may cause problems.

Post # 12
    3584 posts
    Sugar bee

If it’s free why not but like everyone else said make sure it’s ok with the other photographer. 

Post # 13
    2120 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014 - DD born 2015 DS born 2017

You’re guaranteed great shots from the pro, and the amateur will catch different angles while not getting in the way of the pro. It’s a win-win for both you and the amateur needing experience!

Post # 15
    1839 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    nowmarriedgirl:  In that case, go for it also!

But I would recommend taht you go out for photoshoots with your friends and family. There doesn’t have to be a reason for the shoots but you should build up a small porfolio of photos to show potential customers (of your free service). While I would love to have a free photographer I would want to see some of their photos first. 

The topic ‘2 photographers, 1 is free, would u?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors