2 PM ceremony timeline?

posted 12 months ago in Logistics
Post # 2
2107 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

View original reply
lattelover23 :  you start with the time of the wedding and work from there.

What time do you need to be at the church for? Check with the officiant. I had to be there 10 minutes before the ceremony to do some questions beforehand. Then where is your first look? If at a different location, how long will it take you to get from the first look to the church. Ask your photographer how long the first look takes for them.

So let’s say you need to be at the church 20 mins before, it’s 20 mins from your first look and the first look will take an hour.

Wedding starts at 2.

Need to be at the church for 1.45.

Need to leave first look for the church at the latest 1.25

But let’s add a 10 minute buffer for traffic and getting in the car so 1.15

First look needs to start at 12.15

Speak to your vendors because every timeline is different. Different vendors do things differently. It’ll also depend on your specific numbers – the number of your bridal party. Ask the bridal shop how long it might take to put your dress on. Work backwards from the time your wedding starts. Make sure to include 5 or 10 minutes here or there as a buffer. Make sure to include some time to eat and get some alone time of you need it.

If you need to work your timeline forward, again start with the time of the wedding and work forward.

So wedding starts at 2 and last an hour. Reception starts at 4

Ceremony 2.00-3.00

Photos 3.00-3.30

Travel to reception 3.30-4.00…

Post # 3
2694 posts
Sugar bee

Any chance your makeup artist could bring a helper or a 2nd makeup artist to reduce the total amount of time needed for hair/makeup (and maybe allow everyone to sleep in a bit later)?  1 hour each for hair and 1 hour each for makeup with 3 clients (you + 2 bridesmaids) is going to take a long time!

FWIW, my HMUA has 2.5 hours scheduled for my hair and makeup.  It’s not going to take that long, but this includes a buffer just in case something goes wrong and needs to be fixed.

I’d also build in time to do things like make sure you go to the bathroom before putting your dress on! And try to have a snack or a light meal before the wedding, too. You don’t want to make yourself sick from not eating and then drinking.

Post # 5
1285 posts
Bumble bee

I’m pretty Type A, so I actually drafted out an itinerary for our wedding, which I happened to keep, so I’ll share it with you ๐Ÿ™‚  We had a 5 PM ceremony, so you’ll have to back everything up a few hours, but the timeline worked flawlessly, at least for us! 

Other things to consider:  I only had 1 bridesmaid, and we had our makeup and hair done at a hotel that was only about 5 min from the venue (we had 2 stylists for hair/makeup–one of them did hair on my bridesmaid while the other did makeup on me, and then we switched), we put on our dresses at the venue right before pictures (I was worried they would wrinkle during the short drive between the hotel and venue), we did our first look and pre-wedding photos outside the venue, and our ceremony and reception venue was one in the same so there was no drive time in between them.  Hope this helps!

10:30-10:45 a.m.         Girls arrive at hotel

11:00 a.m.                   Bridesmaid’s makeup & Bride’s hair

12:00 p.m.                   Bride’s makeup & Bridesmaid’s hair

12:30 p.m.                   Photographer arrives at hotel for getting ready shots

1:15-1:30 p.m.             Go to venue / get into dresses / get bouquets

1:30 p.m.                     Groom arrives at venue / puts on his boutonniere 

1:45 p.m.                     First look photos with Bride & Groom

1:45 p.m.                     Bride & Groom’s pre-wedding photos start

3:15 p.m.                     Family arrives at venue / everyone puts their flowers on

3:30 p.m.                     Wedding party and Family photos outside venue

4:15 p.m.                     Photos finish / stay out of sight while guests start arriving

5:00 p.m.                     Ceremony starts

5:30 p.m.                     Cocktail hour starts

6:45 p.m.                     Dinner starts   

8:00 p.m.                     Band starts

Post # 7
2170 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

Hi! We also had a Catholic ceremony that started at 2 and here is what we did:

Hair/makeup started for the BM’s at 8:45 (3bm’s, 1 flower girl, hair for one mom, makeup for both moms. We had 1 hair person and one MUA, who did 2 bm’s hair) 

Guys started getting ready at 11

Lunch was delivered to the hotel rooms at 11:30 

Left for the church at 12:15

Arrive at Church 12:30 (the highway was shut down and we actually got there at 12:45)

Get ready at church and do some before pictures with just the bride and the bm’s and the flower girls 

Guys arrive at church at 1:15

Ceremony at 2, ends at 3

Family formal pictures in the church from 3-3:45ish 

Then we went to a park and got some pics on the rooftop of our reception. We had another location scheduled but we ran out of time. Our reception started at 6

Post # 8
2107 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

View original reply
lattelover23 :  I had a 1pm ceremony with no first look, 2 bridesmaids. We started getting ready about 7 so it seems about right. Don’t underestimate how long it takes!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors