(Closed) 2 Questions: bustle question and when to do alterations?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Ok, as to the first/second/third fitting thing:  The first is when the seamstress marks how much you need the dress taken in/out/up, etc.  The final fitting is normally when you try on the dress as altered to see how it looks on you.  (Of course, if it isn’t right at that point, a further fitting would need to be scheduled.)

Intermediate fittings may need to be done under several circumstances.  For example, if the dress needs to be taken in and hemmed, the seamstress may take it in first, then check how much it needs to be hemmed.  This is because a dress that is too loose tends to fall down a bit, so you really need to see how long it is on you after it is tightened up before you can tell how much it needs to be hemmed.  Similarly, you may need to have it hemmed before you mark where the bustle should be, as the hemming will change how much bustling it needs.  Or in my case, I needed the bodice taken out.  You can’t exactly “mark” how much something needs to be taken out.  Thus, what the seamstress did was to take it out as far as she could, try it on me that way, and then mark how far it needed to be taken in from there.

As for when to start, I would suggest finding the seamstress early, and then asking her when to make your first appointment.  At least in this area, the really good independent seamstresses (who are more reliable and less expensive than the ones associated with bridal salons) tend to book up quickly.  Since how long the alterations take is variable (depending on things like how many other dresses the seamstress has to work on at the same time), you may as well work it out with the actual seamstress you will be using.

Oh, and while you are doing that, you can just show the seamstress a picture of the bustle you want.  That saves having to give a detailed description.  It is not an inherently difficult type of bustle to do.

Post # 4
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

There were “issues” with the factory my dress came from and it only arrived 3 weeks prior to my wedding, so we did two fittings in two weeks, which I’m fairly sure isn’t a normal timeline, so I’m not much use to you there… except to say that last minute is doable!

However, I’m pretty sure that’s a french bustle (bustles under instead of over) twice.  I’d just bring the picture in and the seamstress should be able to figure it out, or show you some other options with pins if you don’t have your heart set on it.

Post # 5
1020 posts
Bumble bee

SapphireSun is right, it’s called a “double french” bustle.

Post # 6
310 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Love that bustle!

Post # 7
1079 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I love the French bustle (shown), but have it pinned to make sure it works before your seamstress sews hooks. I ended up going with a traditional bustle because I felt the French bustle looked poufy compared to what I envisioned. I had three fittings, starting two months before the wedding – that’s a good timeline. First – mark dress for hemming and taking in. Second – mark how taken-in part and sewn-in cups needed adjusting; pin bustle post-hemming to get the right length. Third – check everything was just right.

The French bustle isn’t hard to make, but may be expensive if your dress is heavy. Mine would have required three hooks for a single bustle, four for the double. My seamstress charges $25 / hook. And it can be a challenge for your bridesmaids / mom to hook in place after the ceremony (my seamstress said she’d provide instructions – tab A with slot A and such).

Post # 8
524 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I started my fittings, and for a dress that needed a lot of work, only three weeks before my wedding.  I live in Chicago and went to a place that does a lot of alterations work and occasionally does bridal gowns, but isn’t associated with a bridal salon.  They were a bit thrown off by the fact that you can’t get pins through a thick, well-constructed couture gown, but otherwise it’s going fine.

Post # 9
354 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

My seamstrees did my french bustle with ribbon ties, which were then labeled (Tie 1 goes with the other Tie 1, 2 with 2, etc.)  It was pretty self explanatory, but have whoever will bustle you take a look at it pre-wedding.  My Maid/Matron of Honor and bridesmaids were going in cold, and were a little confused.  (Yay for the catering coordinator lady… she wound up bustling me! hehe.)

I’ve loved all your dress posts (and your other ones) – I feel like your really including us in all the wedding stuff!  (not a stalker, but I do always go look to see if you’ve posted something.  I think I was the one who originally figured out what the Jacquelin dress number was, so I’ve felt invested in the process. :P)

ps –

@SapphireSun:  Hi date twin!

Post # 10
443 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Yep, its a double french-thats what mine is too!  Very pretty 🙂

Post # 11
311 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

That bustle is beautiful.  I did my first fitting 2 months out.  I have a second fitting to make sure everything is good about three weeks after that.  Then one final right before the wedding just in case.  I think 3 fitting is good.  I agree that you should make sure to find a seamstress early and get an appointment.  You never know how things can book up.

Post # 12
2532 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I dont know about the bustle but I would suggest that you start your alterations about 5-6 months before your wedding. That is when I started mine and I had a fitting about every month to every 6 weeks – at the final fitting it fit PERFECTLY and I was so happy with the results!!

The topic ‘2 Questions: bustle question and when to do alterations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors