(Closed) 2 story vs ranch

posted 6 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you choose the ranch or the 2 story?
    Ranch : (23 votes)
    41 %
    2 story : (33 votes)
    59 %
  • Post # 3
    Hostess
    16213 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I think I would just focus on which has the floorplan you like best.

Some people despise ranches, but I love them. I grew up in a ranch, and it was great. I think it’s a misconception that ranch = small, and that’s definitely not true.

It sounds like the ranch has more of the floorplan, plus the basement, that you like. If it’s really want you want, I think the extra money will be worth it in the long run.

Is there anything on the two-story that you like better than what’s in the ranch? Would you have those master bathroom options in the ranch?

Post # 4
    321 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I voted Ranch and not just because I live in one.  Just think of having to lug the vacuum cleaner up those stairs all the time! Having a one-story house is wonderful, everything is within easy reach, and ranch style is a very nice style of hosue.   Congrats!

Post # 6
    Hostess
    16213 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

@cherrycoke:  So it sounds like the ranch has the layout/floorplan that you like best, and you can add many of the features that make you like the two-story?

Post # 7
    5296 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 1993

I grew up in one, and while we’ll probably go for a two-story, the ranch with young kids was very nice and spacious. The upstairs had the only bath and 3 bdrms, down seven steps to a large kitchen and living room, down seven more to a bonus room and formal dining, and down seven more to a huge basement.

I think my parents were really grateful for the 7 step thing when my brother threw my sister down the steps one time o_O!

Post # 8
    Hostess
    18643 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

For me, ranches are sort of annoying because there are long hallways.  I grew up in 2 story houses, lived in a ranch for 2.5 years and now we bought a 2 story.  Not all 2 story homes are closed off, ours is pretty open concept.  Just depends on how it is built.

Post # 9
    Hostess
    16213 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

@cherrycoke:  I understand. It sounds like you’re leaning toward the ranch, but I don’t blame your for wanting to consider all of your options. 🙂

Post # 10
    827 posts
    Busy bee

If you plan on staying there forever, you might want to choose the ranch just because climbing stairs may become difficult when you’re old.  

Post # 11
    593 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Not meaning to offenc anywone, I’m just going to play the other side of the card and say that I personally do not like ranches.  In fact, when we were house hunting I did not even want to go through them and the 2 we did go through I just could not get on board with.  So for one, they can be a deter future buyers – however, I know there are people who love them and may find it a bonus.

Whats most important is what you like the best.  So long as you plan to live there for a while what you like is all that matters.  Now, if you were thinking about being in this home short term I may suggest you consult a local RE Agent and see what tends to be a better seller in your area.

Post # 12
    14497 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

What is more popular in your area?   I dont see many ranches where I am, and probably because of that, I dont like them at all.  I dont like that the bedrooms are on the same floor as the living space and dont feel comfortable/safe with them on the first floor.  To me, bedrooms need to be on a higher level.

Post # 13
    10367 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

I’ll play for the pro-ranch side. Two stories, especially ones that are really open, really carry noise and are more expensive to heat and cool (due to the lofty ceilings and heat rising). I hated living in a 2-story house growing up – the noise from the living area carried directly up to the bedrooms and vice versa. Also, if you think you may ever want to do renovation work in lighting etc where the wires come through the ceiling, it’s much easier and cheaper to do that in a single story ranch. Just something to think about!

Post # 14
    10367 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

@pinkshoes:  Why do you feel unsafe with bedrooms on the first floor? Just curious. A prowler/burgler could enter through any ground floor door or window, so it’s not like a bedroom not being there makes the house invincible.

The topic ‘2 story vs ranch’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors