3 %
    Not a problem : (66 votes)
    97 %
  • Post # 2
    4664 posts
    Honey bee

Nope.  You’re fine.

They get a day.  You get a day.

No one is obligated to postpone their lives for someone else’s “day”.  Happiness isn’t finite – people can be happy for you and it in no way makes them less happy for the other couple.  It doesn’t work that way.

If people really have to choose between the two weddings, then so be it, but since it doesn’t sound like there would be significant expenses for them to attend your wedding I really can’t imagine why there would be a problem.

Post # 3
    876 posts
    Busy bee

Do not postpone your wedding because a cousin is getting married!! I can’t believe people actually worry about someone’s thunder being stolen. There’s plenty of thunder to go around. It’s your life, your wedding. Do what feels right! 8 weeks separation is plenty, and likeyou said, it’s local so people don’t have to travel and spend money on hotels. 

Post # 4
    9861 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2016

Me, my brother, and my cousin all got married in the same year. It wasn’t a problem. People went to the weddings they could. I don’t think any of us had all of the family attend but none of us had a problem with the others getting married around the same time.

Post # 5
    6860 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

Eight weeks apart is generously spaced. You can’t put your entire lives on hold because other people are living theirs. 

Post # 6
    915 posts
    Busy bee

The year we got married, we had 7 other weddings to go to. Including my husbands best man who got married 3 weeks after us. And my husband was also his best man. It was hesctic, but we made it work because everyone was important to us.

Also my first cousin got married 8 weeks before us. It wasn’t an issue at all. You will be fine.

Post # 7
    1614 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2018 - Location

Get married when you want as long as it’s not the same day as the cousin. It’s not like you have the exact same guest list. That’s 1 side of the family, surely you don’t have the same friends as the cousin too? how many people will REALLY be overlap between the two weddings?

Post # 8
    2850 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

This is absolutely not a problem. Summer is wedding season for a reason.

And I really don’t understand the logic that family can’t afford to go to two weddings that are 8 weeks apart if there is zero travel invovled. People can wear the same outfit and give a less generous gift for both if it is really an issue, but I feel like your Mother-In-Law is just inventing problems that don’t really exist. 

Post # 9
    652 posts
    Busy bee

I can’t speak to the norms in your environment and the economic resources of your family, but my brother and I got married three weeks apart, each in a destination or quasi-destination wedding (ie requiring hotels) and it was fine. We asked several people in our families and they all told us we were being silly even to ask. They’d have to make an effort to come sometime either way! Neither of us had a “limelight” that was taken away. Instead there was shared joy in planning.

Post # 10
    437 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2019

You are being really thoughtful about this, 8 weeks is plenty far apart!

live your life, get married this year!! They get the day (really the weekend) not the entire year! 

Post # 11
    918 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

8 weeks is plenty.  My cousin’s wedding is literally a week from my brother’s wedding and I haven’t heard any whining.

Post # 12
    98 posts
    Worker bee

There was six months between my cousin’s wedding and my sister’s wedding, and then I got married seven months later. It’ll be fine! Everyone will be happy for both couples. There’s no need to put your life on hold for this. 

Post # 13
    95 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2019

I just got married, my cousin is getting married first weekend in August, my brother is getting married the week after and literally no one cares. 

Post # 14
    62 posts
    Worker bee

Totally fine!

My cousin got married last year. 12 weeks later I got married. 7 weeks later another cousin got married. No issues.

Do you.

Post # 15
    19 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2020

My fiancé’s cousin picked 7/11 to get married, and we picked the weekend before (7/04). Cousin said they wanted the 11th, but sometime in July (they’ve been engaged since December and are being wishy washy on date). 

So we said, okay, left the 11th alone, picked the 4th and they have the remaining three weekends in July to pick from. We picked our date and booked our venue within a week of getting engaged. 

No one in the family has said a thing. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors