(Closed) 2 weeks from today…and I still don’t know who to tip!

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1036 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Customarily the DJ is the only person on this list that would be tipped, and I believe the norm is 15-20% depending on your satisfaction level.  Florists, Bakers, and Photographers are not generally tipped, and don’t expect to be.  That being said you can tip them if you like and feel that they went above and beyond.  Wedding planners are not generally tipped either, but again you can if you feel it is warranted.  This reply is strictly based on the ‘rules’ of wedding tipping etiquette, so I am sure that some brides may do different things.

Post # 4
31 posts
Newbee

I didn’t tip any of my vendors. Heaven knows they cost enough and I saw no reason to. I did tip my hairdresser, but he did my hair on my wedding day as a present.

Post # 5
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Ive been doing research and the only people I discovered so far that should be tipped is your wedding planner, and your hair/makeup artists if you have one.  Most of the others do not expect a tip. But if any one of them went above and beyond you can tip what you feel is appropriate.

Here is what I would use as a guide: http://www.frugalbride.com/tipping.html

Dont stress out over tipping! You can always write them a great review on weddingbee or yelp after if you want to help them earn more business!  Enjoy your wedding day!

Post # 6
5778 posts
Bee Keeper

We tipped the bartenders, DJ’s , photographers, waitstaff, drivers, event manager and maitre’d. Each were given $100. and the waitstaff were given $50. We had pre-made enevelopes ready, and since everyone was so great on the days of the weddings, we gladly handed them out before the end of the night. We didn’t use a florist, and the cake was delivered when we weren’t there, so she was mailed an extra $50. too.

I really think you should do what you want and can afford,even if most people say there are certain professionals that don’t or shouldn’t get tipped.

Post # 7
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I just posted about tipping earlier today. From what I’ve read and heard is:

DJ gets tipped if part of an “entertainment business”, not if owns his/her own business.

Hair and make-up-what you would normally tip a hair dresser. I do 15-20%.

Caterer if there is not a service charge not included.

Bartenders if separate from caterer.

Not necessary on the other vendors you have listed unless you want to.

The topic ‘2 weeks from today…and I still don’t know who to tip!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors