(Closed) 2 weeks to figure out my beauty stuff!

posted 6 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@sienna76:  

I know tons of friends who have done their own make up and it looked great. My trial was awful and so was it the second time. I am getting married abotu 3 1/2 from where I live so cannot use my normal hair dresser as she would be the make up one too. 

What she suggested to me yesterday was go to a Sephora counter or some where similar that you trust, have them go through a bunch of things with you. I am horrible with that myself, but they teach you and can tell you about what to buy.

I bet they would also know a good tannign product. 

Post # 4
252 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am doing my own hair and make up, my staples are Urban Decay Naked Palette eyeshadow (I have both 1 and 2) Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation and Benefit Bad Gal Lash mascara.

ETA as far as self tanning, I love the St Tropez mousse

Post # 5
389 posts
Helper bee

I’m doing my own make-up too. I’m using Lancôme Teint Miracle foundation and primer (my two must haves), Urban Decay eyeshadow and setting spray, DiorShow waterproof mascara, Nars blush, and Dior lipstick. 

I don’t like the Bad Gal Mascara mentioned by the PP. I found it to crumble a lot and it leaves marks on my lower lids (but I have super long lashes so that might contribute). I also don’t like Makeup Forever HD foundation. I found it to be drying and didn’t live up to the hype. 

I tried pretty much every high rated product at sephora because I wanted to look “perfect” lol. 

Post # 6
5428 posts
Bee Keeper

I will be doing my own makeup and hair too. I only use “Cover Girl” stuff! Reason? Just because Cheryl Tiegs was the model! Isn’t that silly?

Post # 8
376 posts
Helper bee

check out craigslist or websites. there are TONS of makeup artists that work freelance and not in salons. usually they will come right to you!

Post # 9
389 posts
Helper bee

@sienna76:  Lol I was overwhelmed too. I don’t wear a lot of make up and I really didn’t want to go shopping for any. I went to the mall 6 times and walked (more like ran) pass Sephora too afraid to go in. I don’t really like sales people and the place was just not my scene. It took me 4 visits and hours of stalking their site to get everything I needed just right. The last visit was so much easier because I just waltzed in and asked the girl to help me pick out a lipstick. She found some for me to test out, I liked one, bought it, left, and wore it a couple of times to get use to wearing a lip color. It seemed so scary on the outside looking in but now I kind of like it lol. I wouldn’t mind going back now. 

Post # 11
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

@Broken Biscuit:  Yeah, I don’t like Bad Gal, either. I got the waterproof one, and the girl at Ulta was like, “Oh it’s amazing, it’ll withstand a hurricane!” It flaked and smudged pretty quickly, so $20 down the drain.

I use mineral foundation (was Bare Minerals, but I just ordered some Everyday Minerals jojoba foundation!), and everything else I use is basically just ELF brand (love their mineral shadows and glosses!). Look up pictures on Pinterest; lots of them have tutorials or are linked to Youtube videos! 

Post # 12
667 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Urban Decay Naked Pallette..AMAZING!!! The colors are awesome for a wedding and stay on all day:) My friend got eyelash extensions from a Groupon deal and they were AWESOME!! I am thinking about getting them for my wedding. She didn’t have to worry about any mascara smudging or anything! Good luck!

Post # 13
1042 posts
Bumble bee

@sienna76:  Do you like youtube?! I suggest you check out these pages on youtube- pixiwoo, pixi2woo, gossmakeupartist, lisaeldridgedotcom. I learn so much from them. HUGE help!

As far as make up goes, mineral makeup doesn’t photograph nicely at night when the flash is important. They reflect the light making people look like a ghost! Happens to me with SPF in makeup too.

Have you considered trying drug store makeup? Revlon Photoready is a great foundation. Revlon Colourstay is also really nice. Did you have a look in mind you wanted to create? I just know that people say to add a little bit more blush and mascara than you would normally do daily since your being photographed!

Post # 15
1042 posts
Bumble bee

I totally know what you mean!

Something like these? Maybe minus the bottom eyeliner though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvjBa7APMnI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktdwnmh3O8Q

I think your bare minerals should be okay! What I have done with diff foundation is take my pic in the afternoon with my camera flash on, in the sun. Just to see how it looks and if it matches my neck.

I found this too that has tips for gals who wear glasses!

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/surprising-makeup-tips-glasses-wearing-gals-160100510.html

Post # 16
5960 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

Damn!  Your in Utah, I’m in Denver, otherwise I would help a sister out!  Things you need to keep in mind…I moonlight doing hair and makeup, mostly weddings but also boudour shots for the local photogs in town.  Keep in mind, Bare Minerals looks great to the naked eye, on digital camera, it shines!  I would find a matte finish foundation, Nutrogena is a good option if you’re senstive to makeup, if not, I would get Too Faced Magic Wand Foundation, it takes the guess work out of things, they also have a primer called Shadow insurance that doubles as an undereye concealer, fabulous stuff since it keeps your eyeshadow from creasing or smudging too.  Use your mineral veil as a powder finish and keep that with you throughout the day to combat shining, give yourself time and quiet or ask a friend whose good with that kind of thing to help out…that’s how I got started!  Good luck! 

The topic ‘2 weeks to figure out my beauty stuff!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors