(Closed) 2 Year Engagement But Wanna Plan NOW!

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
3639 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Why not start planning now? Find a venue you love, photographer etc. If you can’t find something you LOVE then don’t book it because you have time, but if you find something you do love then book it now. Look for inspiration for everything, no harm in any of that. 🙂

Post # 4
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I have a 2 year engagement too. But I’ve already booked my venue and photography..because 1) it locked in my prices and 2) I loved it!

I agree with Tickles…no harm in planning now! You just have more time!

Post # 5
689 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m having a 3 year engagement and I’m already planning. I know what I want, but I am not putting money down on anything just yet. I will be at 2 years so I think the quicker the better.

Post # 6
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

yay for 2013 brids:)  my date is 5/11/2013.  My vow renewal.  The wedding of my dreams:)  I’m so excited.

Dress shopping is harder than I thought though.  I know I NEED a photo booth.  I wont compromise on that! 

We are having our VR at the same place we married at, reception still up for debate.  Either a party bus to take us to our favorite local dive bar spots, or a party in our back yard that is huge an i will rent pretty potties (seriously it exists, look it up)  And catering…  not sure what to have. 

But I am also glad cuz my VR is so far away, because everything is pretty much DIY so i have so much time to DIY all my projects:)

Ronney

Post # 7
460 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

no plan away but be flexible your mind will change!

Post # 8
5668 posts
Bee Keeper

I’ll have been engaged for 2 years if we stick with our original wedding date… we’ve been back and forth about having a small wedding sooner or a larger wedding later. I’ve been “planning” in the sense that I’ve been doing a ton of research of venues, reviews and pricing. I’ve come up with a couple rough guest lists (the all inclusive, the tiny wedding, the larger wedding).

At my FI’s insistance I’ve been working on strassing a pair of pumps to wear for the wedding. It’s time consuming, wedding related and you’ll end up with a gorgeous pair of crystalized shoes! I’ve also come up with a strategy for savings for both of us. I recommend SmartyPig as a place to save if you want a separate wedding account and don’t have one yet.

There’s plenty to do without actually doing anything! 😉 And enjoy your engagement! Take a month or so to just celebrate being engaged, it’s totally worth it!

Post # 9
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@cwat12: i totally agree with you!  you will find things you didn’t think you wanted, but then becomes a “need”  (photobooth for me)…

your dress style will change (i put a deposite down on a dress and let the deposit go, cuz its not what I wanted, in fact this will probably the be the las thing i decide”

you have so many ideas runninjg through your head right now, just take a breath and give it a few weeks before you start planning.

Even though mine is a vow renewal, its the wedding of my dreams after 20 years!  So everything has to be perfect! 

So start now, especially if you have alot of DIY projects and you know your colors.

other than that, dont settle, get multiple estiimates for everything! 

ronney

Post # 10
2889 posts
Sugar bee

It’s fine to begin searching for things like venue and photographer. We looked at venues in 20080 for our 2010 wedding and were glad we did as our 1st choice was already completely booked for summer 2009 and the coordinator told us we could book 2010 dates starting on Jan. 1, 2009 and I’m not kiddinf when I tell you we booked at 8am on New Year’s day to be sure we got our date. I found it helpful to see the venues early to get an idea of our options and also know what we would need to rent, time frame, local hotels, etc. We also planned and bought some smaller details about 2 year out but I would not recommend that unless you need to for some reason (location, seasonality, etc. ). It complicated our centerpiece problem when we had 15 flower pots and then realized they could not hold water a year later. Things like that don’t need to be purchased so far in advance. The main advantage of time is that oyu can watch for sales and shop around for things you need to buy. Even with such a long engagement, we booked our florist 3 monthsi n advance and were more than happy with his work. Good luck and take advantage of your time for a laid back planning phase.

Post # 11
130 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I also just got engaged and am planning on having a november 2013 wedding. I have not started planning yet, but am starting to browse venues and just put together what I want. I’m just so afraid I’ll purchase something then change my mind (I do this often). So, I’m kind of half planning.

Post # 12
143 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I am so excited to see some 2013 brides posting!!

We have been “planning” since last summer. Right now we are just figuring out our big picture plan. Theme, what we must have, estimated numbers. We have also gone around to some venues and checked stuff out to see what is available and stuff like that. It is nice not having the pressure of “you have to book now because spaces are filling up” so we could really go home and think about each venue and if it would really suit our needs.

We actually just found our DREAM ceremony venue and are in contact to go in and book it. We probably never would have even considered it if we were under more of a time constraint.

Have Fun!!

Post # 13
1314 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I love all the 2013 brides on this post! I have just been making lots of idea lists and saving images of things I like. I think we are probably headed the elopement route maybe with our parents there. But, that still gives me things to daydream about! We are at the end of year 1 of a 3 year engagement.

Post # 15
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Our engagement will be 18 months when its all said and done.  I started planning at the 16 month mark since we got engaged at the holidays.  My Fiance is the same way about wedding stuff.  I run stuff by him but try to limit my wedding talk.  That’s where the bee comes in handy! Laughing

Right now I would just research the style you want your wedding to be in.  Rustic, romantic, modern, etc?  Take your time researching venues and don’t settle if you don’t love it.  We booked 14 months ahead on our venue since our area books fast.  Just get idea boards together on possible color schemes and centerpieces etc.  And make a list of the DIY stuff you want to make, scan the bee’s DIY section in blogs because there are some really creative bees on here that made some beautiful things.  Lots of great ideas!

And lastly I would hold off on dress shopping, even looking until a little later.  Dress styles change.  You may love a puffy sleeved creation today but realize later that it looks outdated.  You got plenty of time!  Worry about the big stuff first.  The details will fall into place the more time you spend looking around. Good luck!

Post # 16
700 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I had a 2-year engagement as well (still 1 year out from the wedding) and my Fiance and I started planning the moment we were engaged. Of course, we knew things might change (and they all did), but we would get in these jokingly-intense discussions about wedding details and kiddingly say, “C’mon! We have to plan this whole wedding tonight!!” when, obviously, we did not. We kept things open and considered lots of options, but you should definitely start planning now, if that’s what you desire.

The topic ‘2 Year Engagement But Wanna Plan NOW!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors