(Closed) 2 Year Engagement But Wanna Plan NOW!

posted 10 years ago in Emotional
Post # 17
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My engagment will be about 18 months too.

We started with the big things…the guest list, the timeline, the bridal party.

I can keep myself busy finding addresses for all the guests and save the stuff i’m more likely to change on (the dress, flowers, etc) for closer to the wedding.

I have plans in my head, just nothing in a contract yet!

but a long engagement also makes it possible to pay for things a little at a time instead of all at once. Fiance has booked the band and DJ so we won’t have to worry about them later!

Post # 18
518 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@Fochizzy: I have a two year engagement (exactly 13 months left today) and I started planning early as well… My venue, dress, photographer/videographer, dj, DIY invitations/table numbers, etc… all was done as soon as I got engaged. You will be surprised how fast things get booked. You will run into some places that will not have the 2013 calendar available yet but that’s ok…. just save that for when you can book it. It’s exciting and I thought that by planning super early, I would loose my "excitement" but as the time nears, I get even more excited so I say plan away!!!

Post # 19
372 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Planning now = less stress later. Once everything is in order you can sit back and relax and enjoy yourself. I have seen brides with a 4 year engagement planning now. It can never be too early to start only too late.

Post # 20
1557 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I had/am having a 4 year engagment, so I feel you!

Use this time to collect ideas, start a folder on your computer –believe me, you will probably get inspirational overload before too long, but you can use the time to take note of elements that you really love and later on (when you get closer to to date) you can refine those ideas & inspirations into your own ‘vision’ as a couple.

There is NO harm in doing research on venues & photographers, especially if you live in a more affluent/popular area. A friend of mine said that all the venues in her city were booked 3 years in advance! And not to mention that many venues/vendors book 12-6months in advance as well, so that is something to think about.

As other posters have said, plan away, or pre-plan, or just start brainstorming, but be flexible and expect your likes/dislikes to change over the next two years

(fwiw when we got engaged we were pretty sure we were jumping on the orange & aqua band wagon of 2008-9, but now we are light years away from that!)

Post # 21
995 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

We’re 10 months in to our 27-month long engagement and I totally agree with the PPs and you should start planning! Your profile says you’re from Forest Hills and we’re also getting married in NY, and when we went to book our venue about 5 months ago our date was already taken! No big deal since we’re so far out we could just move it up a weekend but there are definitely people planning 2 years in advance so go for it!  Congratulations and happy planning! Smile

Post # 22
13 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’m in the same situation & also want to plan now! So I’ve bought myself a wedding planning book and am slowly considering each thing. I think it’s pretty cool because there are actually a lot of things you can plan in advance, eg. you can find your dream venue, decide on colour schemes, write the guest list (although this may change over time but at least you have a rough idea!), but all without the pressure of a looming deadline. There’s no harm in doing a bit of research and planning!!! :p Just think, when it gets nearer the time, you’ll have less to do!

Post # 23
26 posts
Newbee

Hi Bee Brides! So I just got engaged a couple days ago. Very excited and want to be married…then talked to the parents and financial no one can contribute for awhile…so 2 year engagement for me too! September/October 2013. I am looking for a reception space and photographer. I already found the photographer but it comes down to whos wallet and I’m still dreading every one of those talks with parents. I will be graduating in December 2012, walking in 2013 (May) and then I can fully invest my time in planning. The apartment living enters inbetween then. I’m just glad I’m not the only one. I know if I didn’t sign up on these things I would drive my fiance crazy! Anyone looking at fall? I’m trying to narrow down colors.

Dark blue/orange

Cranberry/orange/sage green

Plum/grey/white/orange

A bit overwhelming but colors get me all kinds of indecisive.

Happy early planning everyone!

Post # 24
26 posts
Newbee

So…

I’m now a September 22nd 2012 bride. Long story but I’m very excited that everything worked out today. Amazing and awesome. My fiance is still in shock but the big grin on his face says it all.

Post # 25
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I can definitely relate!! My fiance and I will have an exactly 2 year long engagement.. It has been about 4 months so far and it has honestly gone by so fast already.  We are looking at our dream venue this Tuesday and we cannot wait!  They do book up to 26 months in advance since they are very popular in our area so we are so excited to finally go look at it and get some more information and probably book it as soon as possible!

As far as any other planning, I browse through wedding websites for ideas and save all of the ideas on my computer but am not doing any serious planning until about January or so. 

Enjoy being engaged it is the best time!Smile

Post # 26
565 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have a two year engagement as well. We are half way through right now, but I felt the exact same as you in the beginning! All I wanted to do was plan, plan, plan… So out came the magazines, and I started cutting out pictures for inspiration, then I started researching venues, photographers, and DJs (which we booked short after the engagement). The first year went by SO fast! Now I feel like I’m in a time crunch (even though I still have over a year). I would say go ahead and plan! Take your time and enjoy!

Post # 27
353 posts
Helper bee

I would definitely recommend starting to plan now. We got engaged in June this year and planned to get married in September next year. We thought we had bags of time to plan everything…..wrong! Venues have started getting booked up that far in advance, that we have had to book a Sunday (we wanted a Friday or second choice, Saturday) in order to get the venue we wanted for September next year. We even thought about moving it to early October (can’t go any later as his cousin is getting married in mid-late October) but there was nothing left but Sundays and Thursdays either!

I would 100 percent say start looking at venues, you can do it at a leisurely pace and find the perfect venue and get the day you really want 🙂

Post # 28
70 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Fochizzy: This doesn’t mean you can’t start looking around. Our engagement was just shy of 2 years. We started looking at stuff almost immediately but ended up not making any real decisions until 1-1.5 yrs out. Gather some information on venues, maybe even visit some. Start thinking about colors. Do you envision more casual or more formal? By starting to simply discuss things early on, you get all the drama that comes with wedding planning out of the way. We ended up butting heads with each other, each other’s parents, our own parents, etc. because we all had our own ideas of what the weekend was going to be like. It took a while but around the time we were about a year out, we had all gotten through that crap and were all able to discuss different ideas we were considering in constructive ways. You can always discuss w/out making decisions.

Post # 29
2396 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

You can start looking now if you want. There is a lot to think about, so even if you have ideas put together, when it is closer to the actual time you at least know what you want.

Our engagement is going to be around 2 years. I took the first 6 months to do nothing but buy bridal magazines, and next month we are picking our venue, and then I’ll send out save the dates. After that is the dress…the list keeps going….so as you can see, after a few months, it’ll be time to start planning anyway!

Keep in mind though…I ran into this a lot…some places don’t book more than 1 year in advance. So even if you can’t book now, you could at least go look at places and have a concise list for when it is time to sign a contract.

Post # 30
2300 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - An amazing non-profit retreat

I LOVE this thread. I have felt so alone in my 2+ year engagement because a friend got engaged 2 weeks after me and is getting married this winter. So yes, there has been a bit of jealousy.We’re feeling pretty set on a winter 2013 wedding. Either November or Dec. If you were invited to a winter wedding, what would you be more likely to go to, Nov or Dec?

Post # 31
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Go for it, start planning! I am a June 2013 bride (engaged Dec 2010) so I get the long-engagement thing. But why not start looking and getting a feel for what you like? You may find and book vendors way ahead of time and have your choice of dates by booking so early.

So far, we’ve already pinned down our venue, photog, DOC, ceremony musicians, and a welcome activity for our many out of state guests. And in a few weeks, we’ll be checking out florists and DJs. I’m sure I sound crazy when I tell all these vendors my wedding’s in 2013 but by this time next year, I’ll be glad I started early.

Congrats and best of luck! 🙂

The topic ‘2 Year Engagement But Wanna Plan NOW!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors