(Closed) 2 Year engagement timeline….

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
4284 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Start a “look book” of sorts. Add all things you love, they don’t have to go together at all. We will have a 15 month engagement by the time of our wedding. I started right away. I would hold off on bridal party inviting, so much can change in 24 months that you don’t want to put yourself in a situation of having to “fire” someone… or meeting somone new and wishing you had an open spot. I love theknot.com… you can find soooo many ideas. I am just now dress shopping. My wedding is in June. I think because of nerves and insecurities I waited until everything else was done. I actually had everything booked and deposits made within a month of our engagement…..I was sooooo excited! Plus a few venues and photographers were already booked for our date. Take your time, but don’t think you can dable in everything now….. Good luck and happy planning!!!

Post # 4
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Well, good for you guys getting what you want!! Yes, i would deffinately book that venue NOW!!

We got engaged and planned for a wedding in 14 months, THEN, a month into it, my mom was freaking out ( we were house hunting also ) and said that it would be too much, so we pushed it back. It then became a 21 month engagement.

I did start planning and getting ideas together soon after our engagement. Which was fine. I already knew who would be my bridal party – just 3 girls. My best friends. so that was easy for me.

Vendors will absolutely take you seriously… some book very quickly as you already know!! We just had our engagement pics the other day actually and I had my make up done by the same girl who is doing our wedding, and she said that she is already booking in 2013. So, even MAKE UP artists book up quick!!

But this is good for you, bc you CAN take  your time, and do your research and find the best deals!! No big need to rush!

I think i booked my florist, and photographer – it would have been about 16 months ahead of time.

My dress I bought a few months after the engagement, I just couldnt wait!! lol. I looked and looked, taking my time. and I just found one I died for. So i got it. I sometimes wonder if I rushed into it. But, i look at it, as there are SO MANY, im sure you cant find the absolute perfect #1 ever! Plus i sitll love it! so thats good. haha.

I changed my mind with favors and centerpiecs, and the little things about 100 times!! and 2 different themes. BC i did have so much time, I would decide on something, then when i started to get really serious about the planning again, I changed my mind and im sticking to it now. Just keep your decisions loose and keep track of it all. Im very organized, so that works with me.

This way, you can make a budget and stick to it. You can take time to look at everything!!!!

I think I got back on the real serious planning track about 9 months out. Now is the time ( 9-8 months ) that things need to begin getting done.  My girls and I are dress hunting for them, and we are getting the little things.

Take your time… Go ahead and plan now!! your engaged have fun!! But research before you commit!

Sorry this is so long!!! But hope some might help you out a little. πŸ™‚

Post # 5
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

We are almost exactly 2 years from our wedding day.  We booked the venue, because we love it and it books fast.  Now we are doing our research.  You should totally take advantage of your extra time!  Thoroughly research and compare vendors.  You should have time to weigh all your options and still be sure that the one you want will be available on your day.  We already contacted a few photographers.  We know that, no matter how trends or our tastes change, we will want a high-quality, experienced photographer.  If we book by the end of the year we’re locked in for 2011 prices for a 2013 wedding, which is pretty awesome.  

We also asked all of our wedding party already, because they are all family and close friends who we’ve known for at least 8 years.  If you’re not sure you’ll still want someone as a bridesmaid 2 years from now maybe you shouldn’t be asking that person anyway.

There are some things you should wait on, like dress shopping.  My mom keeps sending me pictures of dresses she likes, but there’s no way we’re getting one more than a year early.  Trends and preferences change, and new styles become available.  We can’t pick our menu more than 2 months early because that’s how our venue does it.  You can make a preliminary guest list, but that will change as you meet new people.  

Good luck with your planning!

Post # 6
615 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

By the time we get married in April, my fiance and I will have had a 19-month engagement.

The upside of having a long engagement is that you have extra time to save money and budget wisely, and I have really had a lot of time to think about what I want and research the hell out of everything. The luxury of time is under-appreciated!

The downside, however, is that it’s easy to want something done NOW, buy or make an important decision, and regret it six months later. (This has happened with the dress, linens, decor, etc. etc.)

That said, time has just FLOWN by. I really cannot believe that we’ve already been engaged for a year. I am so glad I’ve had so much time to make (and change!) my decisions, and plot a detailed timeline. It will be worth the wait.

My advice to you is to thorougly ENJOY this period of being engaged and beginning your wedding planning process. Make lists, brainstorm, create style boards, check out as many vendors as you want… but unless you are forced to make a booking or a purchase (due to limited availabity or select dates), take your sweet time. Trust me on this one.

Post # 8
375 posts
Helper bee

Once you’ve got your date and location it’s totally cool to start gathering your wedding party up–gives everyone time to have it in mind and save up, if need be, for attire, travel and party expenses.

Everything else? Enjoy the time you have to research and get ideas. I like the look book suggestion, especially if you’re still determining your theme or colors, it’ll help you narrow down your selections when it’s time to book.

I’d be wary of putting down deposits for florists or caterers at 2 years out, though, with businesses closing or being bought-out regularly. Florists depend on growing seasons, anyway, and a lot can change between now and then (though you may be able to lock in great prices if you book early–it’s a balancing act) and many caterers can seldom give you hard and fast numbers on food more than 3 months out for similar reasons. 

As a 2013 bride, myself, I plan on spending the time keeping my eyes peeled for inspiration and ideas and starting on the long list of DIY projects (making all the paper flowers, for instance, and collecting wine bottles and corks for different uses) that can be done in advance.

Post # 9
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@WolvLove: Awesome!  Where in MI?  If you don’t mind my asking, what venue did you book?  If you’re interested, my Fiance and I have been making spreadsheets for vendors in the Detroit area (I’m a spreadsheet addict).  

We actually live out-of-state right now too.  Every time we go back my family drags me around to do wedding stuff… not that it really takes much dragging.  For vendors, I’ve been in contact with a view via email, but we definitely won’t book anything without sitting down and talking to them.  I guess that’s the advantage to our situation- living so far away forces you to hold yourself back, so you don’t end up finishing all your planning 2 years early :).

Post # 10
32 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

My Wedding isn’t until Sept 21st 2013. I’ve ALREADY booked the hall. bought my dress and am in the process of booking caterer, cake, and flowers. I don’t want to worry about paying things off the day before. Once all this big stuff is out of the way I can relax and take some time off (ok so time off will just be surfing the internet for more stuff I like for said wedding because planning is so much fun Smile) I’ll have time to enjoy doing everything else.

Post # 11
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I mostly sat on here and collected ideas from other bees.  I found my venue pretty quickly as well.  There wasn’t much else that I wanted to do either.  I knew that ideas come and go.  New dresses as well.  So, now I’m a year out and I can’t be any more excited to start the actual wedding planning.  I will be looking at dresses this weekend.  πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

You should totally start attending bridal shows though.  They’re always fun.  πŸ™‚ It’s tough waiting because you get to be so excited and impatient, but trust me, it goes by quickly!

The topic ‘2 Year engagement timeline….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors