(Closed) 20 and newly engaged

posted 7 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
4755 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Ususally start planning around a year and a half to go. No matter what you think you’ll spend you will spend more so what you do now is simple: SAVE.

Post # 5
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

We had an 18mth engagement and well you just plan and deal.

As far as ppl and their ideals/opinions you have to just not take it to he heart as offense. Most will only be out of their unwarranted opinion BUT some will be coming from a point of wisdom.. listen, take into account, and see and take every opportunity to grow with you Fiance to be prepared for marriage.

Darling Husband and I highly recommend this book Preparing for Marriage… you and your Fiance can get 2 copies and go through it yourselves…. it’s a great foundational start ๐Ÿ˜‰

Congrats on your engagement, welcome to the hive, and good luck with your planning. pm me anytime for questions, advice, anything!

Post # 6
6892 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

Yep, just save your money and ignore people telling you that you’re “too young.” Honestly, no one can tell you if you’re old enough. If you feel that you are and your Fiance feels that you both are, then don’t worry about others.

I hate the “age” debate, and generally stay out, but seriously – if people can present a REAL reason to not be married (like, personality issues, majorly irresponsible, cheating) then ok. But age is NOT a valid one to me when a couple is in a committed relationship.

Just SAVE money and FINISH school. ๐Ÿ™‚ And don’t sweat the small stuff or the small comments.

Congrats!

Post # 6
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2014

This is me! 

I am yet to write my engagement story, but me and R have been together for five years, He’s working and Im starting my last year of univeristy in September.

We have support from both sides of our family and I found thats all that matters. Of course people see my ring and look confusingly, obviously thinking we are too young. But if it worked in the fifties, there is no reason it cannot work now. 

We’ll have the best wedding scrap books out there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 9
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Sent from my Android

Post # 10
3 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Im also 20 and my fiance is 21, so i know exactly what you mean!! My mom is getting use to it but my dads not to thrilled, we feel that if its ment to be age should not matter! There is no right or wrong way to fall in love or a “rule” for age

My fiance, Ryan is in the marines so hes away, and him being away makes us want to do this even more.  We  just want to start our lives together:)

If youve got a keeper hold on and just do it, no matter what anyone else says:)

Good luck and Congrats!!

Post # 12
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I would start making a list of things which are really important to you early on. Make him make a list too.It is good to start off knowing where you can compromise on price, because everything related to weddings is so expensive. What kind of things do you want to do yourself, or have a family member do? What things do you really want professionals for? Also, gathering addresses. It took me MONTHS to get a list of people, and then track down all of the addresses.

If you want a really hard to get location, and some places want you to book years in advance, check the dates. I would go nuts being engaged and not having SOMETHING to do for the wedding. I was too excited to just wait. I also think a good conversation about if you want a small intimate wedding, or a huge huge wedding is important. Do you want something very formal, semi-formal, casual? If you two can agree what kind of wedding you want, and you each know which details are the most important, wedding planning will be a lot smoother.

If you are a serious DIYer, I would start thinking of which projects you want to DIY, and how to do them. If you want everything done by hired professionals, you have enough time that people you know will be getting married before you and can give you great recommendations.

As for being too young to get married, you hear it sometimes. I’m 20 and getting married in a month, I know it is right, if other people don’t agree then they can just deal in their own way. I am doing what is right for me, and I hope that others do it in a way that is right for them. I always respond to people saying I am too young by saying “If I wait much longer I won’t get to celebrate a 75th anniversary!”.

Post # 14
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Same situation here , Sorta! I was 18 when we got engaged and I am 20 now and planning our weddding for May 2012. We knew we were going to have a long engagement because we were too young at the time and I knew I had to get out of high school and start college. We were together for 4 years when we got engaged and have been together for 7 as of March this year. I will still be in school when we get married but he will be graduating close to it. but   Everyone is going to have a different opinion about everything and as long as the two of you are happy, then who cares what anyone else thinks! I started Planning in February of this year partly bc my sis was getting married in May of this year so I figured to wait till they were done with hers to focus on mine! Hope this helps!!

Post # 15
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Hi there!! I’m in your boat as well!! I’m 20, and my Fiance is 22…we will have been together for exactly 5 years on our wedding day ๐Ÿ™‚ The biggest thing I’ve found is, start planning and buying the little things now, so your expenses don’t pile on you all at once and when someone makes a “too young” comment, just laugh it off…people just have opinons and don’t know when to keep it to themselves. Anyways, good luck and if you need any help, just PM me!

The topic ‘20 and newly engaged’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors