362 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

How do you even split $20 7 ways? WTH! lol

Post # 4
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

Maybe it was more of an office gift, and the individuals that are coming will get you a gift when they attend?

I know you’re not supposed to want gifts, lol, but that’s like, $2 per person. A wee bit ridiculous…

Post # 5
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I get what you’re saying. We had some people surprise us by giving us nothing for a present; I would’ve been happy with a card saying “congrats!” Have no idea on whether it’s just fom her or from a group, but is it possible that everyone is really broke paying student loans, paying other bills, and just trying to get by?

Post # 6
1294 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Hmmm…I would probably feel conflicted. I truly didn’t expect gifts of any kind at my wedding. BUT at the same time if SEVEN coworkers were invited and they chipped in and got me a $20 platter I may be a little perplexed. 

I don’t know everyone’s financial situation and I am not likely to get pissed at a “cheap” gift, but like I said, I may be a little confused and my feelings would be hurt. 

Post # 6
808 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Oh my.  That is crazy.  I would totally feel slighted.  Do you think it could be a shower gift?  Maybe they will be bringing actual gifts to the wedding?  Wow! 

Post # 7
5891 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

at a certain point it just becomes humorous, you know? 

Post # 8
3302 posts
Sugar bee

Well to be honest- maybe employment factors come into play. For example, at my job, we can not give each other more than $20 for gifts. Now, they probably each could have contributed 20 each but – maybe they figured the platter was enough. Also, how do you know you won’t receive actual gifts, monetary or not during your reception. When my SO and I went to a wedding, he didn’t give his gift of $150 until after the bride and groom were married and getting congratulated.

Post # 9
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

While it “is better to give than to receive” that is truly like a slap in the face! Especially if you KNOW they can at least swing $20 each. Maybe they’ll pull through in the end.

Post # 10
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

I agree that the whole not expecting a girft is the right way.

But really? A platter?

Post # 12
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Is there any way that this gift is one of several shipments? For example, I was confused and offended when a couple who is close friends with my husband gave us ONE random decorative pillow as a wedding gift, but then a few days later, the rest of the shipment came. Maybe they are sending you multiple gifts that are just on backorder or not able to be shipped together and coming later? I would wait to see if that’s the case. You may be hurt/offended for no reason, as that’s what happened to me.

The topic ‘$20 gift from coworkers?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors