(Closed) 20 Something Encores?

posted 9 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
2765 posts
Sugar bee

How does your dad feel about this… does he want to give you away again?

I’d think that most dads would understand if you had your daughter give you away, especially if he already gave you away at an earlier wedding?

Post # 4
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@KB…I am not an encore bride but I do have a 12 year old daughter. I basically inserted her into the spaces traditionally reserved for a father. For example, my Fiance asked my daughter for my hand in marriage. To me, this was the right way to do it since I have been out of my parents house since college and it was really my daughter who would have to welcome Fiance into her life, less so my parents. In addition, it will be my daughter “giving me away” at the Justice of the Peace..not my father.

My dad has 5 girls, 4 of which (myself included) are unmarried. I figure he will have other opportunities to walk his daughters down the aisle while my daughter will only have 1 mom.

Post # 6
14183 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

If he is really excited, I say let him walk you down the aisle. Why don’t you have your dad walk on one side and your daughter on the other?

Post # 7
286 posts
Helper bee

Since your daughter walking you down is aisle is important to you…I think you should just let your dad and daughter walk you down the aisle…I think that would be really cute and special….

Post # 8
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I eloped the first time and have been living on my own with my children for almost 10 years.  So when I got remarried this summer I really struggled with my dad “giving me away”.  In the end, I knew it meant a lot to him, so I had both of my parents do it.  Since your daughter is so little, like ejs4y8 said, why don’t you have both of them walk you down?

Post # 9
4023 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Can both your dad and daughter walk you down the isle and give you away together?

Post # 10
2779 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Especially as you’re flicking back and forth between the two I think both of them “giving” you away would be a great thing. It’ll also probably be less scary and stressful for your daughter as she’ll be quite young at the time of your wedding, she can have her grandpa there with her.

Post # 12
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I don’t think that he would be upset that your daughter is walking you.  Plus since she is so young, she might need a little bit of wrangling to get her to walk properly so you might need the two of you!

Post # 13
Bee
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - City Hall

I’m 20-something and an encore. I didnt have my dad give me away… it seemed odd (especially with our very small wedding). So instead we had our dads be the witnesses, so they signed the license afterward.

I think if you want your dad to give you away though, you need to ask him how he feels about it. Dads can sometimes be hard to talk to, but it’s an important thing to ask. Since your daughter is so young, maybe your dad can carry her down the aisle (with you)? That’d be an option I’d consider.

Post # 14
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2010

You should talk to your dad, and I like the option of them both walking you down the aisle.  :]  And also, if people give you crap, just say you’ve got a little surprise in stored and SMILE.

Post # 15
226 posts
Helper bee

I’m not engaged yet (my Boyfriend or Best Friend says he’s my pre-fiance…) However I am divorced, hopefully will be engaged soon, and I’m 24. I dont have kids, so I dont have a ton of advice however I do think your dad should get some role in the wedding. It sounds like hes excited and happyf or you. Maybe they can both give you away.

Post # 16
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

What about having your daughter be your maid of honor and have dad walk you down the aisle? That way she’s still in high importance, right there next to you, and dad still gets his moment?

The topic ‘20 Something Encores?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors