(Closed) 20-Somethings: Feelings about your Registry?

posted 7 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Most of our things are 50 or below (most of my friends are still in college, and his are 1-4 years out) so for those I don’t feel too guilty. It’s the china that I feel guilty about.

Post # 4
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I feel more guilty now – a year and a half after the fact.  We registered for all this stuff and got a lot of it and now it just takes up too much space in our house.  Seriously, we have no room in our kitchen.  And we don’t use everything that often.  I wish we had registered for less so we had more room in our house.

Post # 7
241 posts
Helper bee

People can chip in together sometimes to get the bigger gifts, some people like to make up a gift of smaller items together but it’s best to have lots of choices if you need lots of stuff because people like to feel like they picked your gift.

Post # 8
518 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Honestly, I’m not worrying about it. If items on your registry are too expensive for some people, then they will pool together to get a group gift. I have done this with a number of different groups of friends and no one has thought twice about it.

Post # 9
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@Ms. Polar Bear: Exactly, thankfully FH has had a permanent apartment for the last 4-5 years so he has some of the things but they are all hand-me-downs from his parents and pretty beat up. I’ve been living in university housing for the past three years so my contributions are slim. The nice things like a food processor, slow cooker, and good knives are missing.

Post # 10
3482 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I was super guilty at first about the price of our fine china place settings (even though it was fairly reasonable compared to some of the other we looked at)…and then DH’s grandmother insisted we add more place settings to the registry, and bought them all. So I didn’t really get to feel guilty for long, lol.

Post # 11
5388 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

We had things in every price range. I didn’t feel guilty because we had a wide range and could buy things with all of our gift cards with registry completion. Our friend who is 25, is the one who brought us the most expensive gift (the kitchen aid mixer). Which surprised us because recently college grads don’t usually spend that much for a friend. 

Post # 12
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

We are in the same situation, almost all the stuff we have right now is crappy cheap college stuff. We live together now with another roommate, and this summer we are getting our first place alone together. BUT our wedding isn’t until 2012, so I have to decide what things we need this summer versus what can wait until bridal showers, etc. It’s confusing though, I need to compile a list of everything we need and group it by what can wait and what can’t.

We do you start your registry though? My mom keeps bugging me to start registering, but it seems to early, more than a year out before our wedding? Fiance brought up that some things might not even be available this time next year!

Post # 13
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

well, I dont necessarily regret registering for everything.  We just don’t have a kitchen big enough to store it all.  We got a crockpot, ice cream machine, kitchenaid mixer, lots of baking things (trays, springform pans, etc), & a food processor.  I feel like a lot of the things just sit on the counter unused all year round.  They take up counter space.  I wish we didn’t have that problem.  

Post # 15
4582 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I don’t feel guilty about registering. We’re in our twenties, first (and hopefully only!) marriage for both of us. Yes, we’ve lived together for a while and we have a lot of the basic stuff but we could really use upgrades to nicer things and there are some other things we just haven’t been able to buy for ourselves, but we would really like and use a lot (ahem. Keurig!) Just because we registered for X amount of things, doesn’t mean we expect to get all of it.

Post # 16
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Since I’m having such a long engagement, I’ve been getting registry-type stuff for birthdays/Christmas ever since FH officially proposed (my Grandma initially asked me what I wanted for my “hope chest”, so every wish list I make up usually has one or two registry-type items on it). We have 10 or 12 full place settings, a medium serving bowl, a set of flatware, a casual table linens set, casual glasses, some wine glasses & a decanter, a set of knives, and a bunch of serving utensils. FH and I also make a habit of going out and painting ceramics on special occasions (birthdays & our anniversary, usually), and so we’ve amassed a bunch of stuff that way too (large serving bowl, large serving platter, teapot, salt & pepper shakers, butter dish, etc.). We also have some stuff we bought when we went camping (a kettle & a crappy cutting board).

I’m hoping this will cut down on my registry guilt, LOL. : D We’ll mostly be registering for non-kitchen stuff, I think (although obviously we HAVE to register for the Kitchen Aid Mixer!), and some “luxury-type” kitchen items.

The topic ‘20-Somethings: Feelings about your Registry?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors