(Closed) 20 Somethings… What do you do for a living?

posted 9 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 285
242 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m graduating from nursing school in 2 months, and already have found a job as an RN. I currently work as a tech. So yes I’m doing what I wanted to do, because luckily I’m in a field where it’s pretty easy to find a job with your degree.

My Fiance is a political science and forensic science double major, and he works at a matress store lol. He has no idea where he’s going to work, but we aren’t worried because at the very least he can sell beds there temporarily and make great money (he just won’t feel very fulfilled). 

Post # 286
58 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I work as a Financial Services Representative at TD Bank, while my degree is in Marketing.  I graduated from college 3 years ago and it has been very challenging to find a job in the marketing field.  I’m hoping that things will calm down after the wedding in June so I can actually try and pursue a career in something I actually want to do.

Post # 287
1570 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I am a full time student starting my Masters soon…and work in an immigration consulting firm 

Post # 288
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am 27 and have a Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work. I work at a hospital. I do couseling with families or patients that are losing vision or are blind. I run a therapeutic group for people who have lost an eye/vision in a traumatic way (accident, assault). Lastly I work with children/parents of children that suffer from retinalblastoma, it is a cancer of the eye that is generally diagnosed in infanthood. This job is rewarding but my dream job would be to have my own private counseling practice with my focus being on treating young women. Finace’s a Cardiologist. 

Post # 289
1570 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

View original reply
@orchid84:  I want to do clinical social work!!! thats what im doing my Masters in!! So exciting πŸ™‚

Post # 290
1278 posts
Bumble bee

I work full time for a non profit as a program coordinator (funded by local government and employed by a University…odd situation), and it is exactly what I wanted to do!  I am very lucky to have my job, but I interned with this group for a few summers, which helped me get my job.  I’ve worked here for 3 years now, and this last fall I’ve also been going to graduate school and I’ll be graduating next spring, in which I hope to move closer to the SO and find something better paying.

Post # 291
212 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

View original reply
@garden_bride:  PM me if you ever need advice on licensing, jobs, resume, or what ever else! πŸ™‚ 

Post # 292
20 posts
Newbee

Hi! im 26 and I own a wedding service company in md. I am the like poster child for starting with nothing. I had my second child last year at 25. Their father decided parenting wasnt for him and split. I am very anti daycare so I was at first a stay at home mom and had to move back in with my mom πŸ™ I had nothing. I was even on food stamps. But what could I do? I had no college education, I had two young kids, I had no one I trusted that was home to watch them. My mother has been a cake decorator since before I was born, working as a bakery manager at a foodlion. but she always wanted to own her own bakery.

I felt that I needed to try to do something asap to try and make a living, while raising my babies (they just turned 3 and 1, both having the same birthday of 2-24, crazy huh, lol) So I bought a website and advertised my moms cake business. Then we got into the catering business, then we added linens, then uplighting, drapes, everything. Now we are working on looking for a space to turn into a hall. My dream is to offer a one stop shop for the bride and groom.

But i did everything with no outside education. and in under a year. It was harder though, I remember times where, between the business and kids, I would get maybe 3 hrs of sleep a day because I would stay up researching how to do this and the best procedure for it, and wheres the best deal on that. I also worked for free with event coordinators throughout md on weddings to gain experience, and I shadowed everything they did. Then I called and visited local small venues and offered them commision to allow me to become a preferred vendor of theres, while making sure my services and prices were better quality, better tasting and more affordable than the leading big league guys, which made my already small profit, even smaller at first. But it was all worth it.

I love what I do. I am such a sap for romance. With so much anger, hate, death and violence going on, what better enviroment to be in, than to be a part of such love! I will be tearing up before the actual bride or groom lol. But what I guess my point is, if you want something bad enough, you can have it. So many friends and family told me, “yea right” and ” you better slow down” and ” you cant do all that” but its all fuel for my fire.

The bible says when your young, to attack life like a lion. well, “Growwwl” lol, its not all peaches though. its hard to juggle tastings, consultations, kids, and some kind of social life. Im still trying to figure out where the heck am I going to put 480 ft of steel pipes and tons of yards of fabric, for the draping kits that are coming. But God hasnt left me hanging yet, so I am grateful and say, Bring it on…

anybody that tells you, that you cant do somethng, or wont amount to anything, %^&* em! All the mean things they say, eat it, because youll be crying all the way to the bank! πŸ™‚

Post # 293
577 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Selina61 – Good for you. πŸ™‚ I’m glad all of your hard work is paying off.

As for me, I’m a resident assistant and graduating in May with a major in psychology and a minor in math, and I’m starting my PhD in August with a stipend. My boyfriend/soon to be Fiance works at a pet store moving kitty litter with his dual degree in sociology and history. πŸ˜› Hopefully he’ll be able to pick up something more career-oriented and with the combined incomes we’ll be able to get an apartment and get married this coming year. Things will be tight but I’m ready to get married and live somewhere that isn’t a college dorm.

Post # 294
71 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I work for the U.S. Senate in D.C., graduated with a B.A. in Law and Society and working on my masters in Public Administration – Love my job! Thankfully they are letting me keep it, and I’m going to be a telecommuter from the West Coast to the East Coast

Post # 297
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I’m 22 and I’m currently in school trying to get my BA in Human Development and Family Science. After me an Mr.Abraham graduate next year we’re getting married and starting grad school right away. I currently work on my college campus at the Wellness Center. So my job now is completely unrelated to what I want to go into. Hopefully by the time I graduate I can find a job in the Gerontology field or Financial Planning field. 

Post # 298
893 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I currently work as a home health aide but am finishing up nursing school in four weeks! By the end of summer I will be a RN hopefully working in a hospital.

Post # 299
413 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

View original reply
@ForeverAndEverAfter:  This is the finace of the bride to be, but, I like this blog thread. I graduated with my bachelor’s in nursing in May of 2010. I was offered two jobs after being rejected for four others. I had a job the same summer after I graduated and I did feel fortunate. My fiance, the name that I write this post under, is an elementry teacher. She had to substitue for one year before being offered a full time job with the public school system. I am now going to start graduate school after our wedding. It has been my goal since graduating to get my master’s in nursing and become a nurse practitioner. I am very fortunate to have wife to be who is supportive of my goals.

Post # 300
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I got my BS in computer science and so did my Fiance. That’s where we met.  We are both software developers.  It is nerdy, but I love my job.  Good pay, flexible hours, interesting projects…

Post # 301
5 posts
Newbee

I’m 26, and I am a minute clerk in traffic court. BF is 21 (I’m a cougar, I know. lol.) and he works in a restaurant and is going to law school.

The topic ‘20 Somethings… What do you do for a living?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors