(Closed) 20 year Olds have a 10 am beach wedding but not serving alcohol. Rude or not?

posted 4 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Rude or not? Cash bar or no?
    It's is rude, get a cash bar. : (18 votes)
    7 %
    It isn't rude, have a dry wedding. : (221 votes)
    89 %
    Tell them they can being their own boos : (10 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 31
    1890 posts
    Buzzing bee

Since you said people can bring in their own alcohol, why not buy a couple cases of inexpensive champagne or prosecco? That should be less than $200. That way, people can toast you properly, and partake if they want to. There’s nothing wrong with a dry wedding, but I find a non-dry one much more festive.

I know you’re technically underage, but I was drinking at family parties once I was in college, so no one in my family would’ve batted an eye if I had a glass of champagne at 20.

Post # 32
    1838 posts
    Buzzing bee

A dry brunch reception is perfectly acceptable. Not rude at all. 

Post # 33
    200 posts
    Helper bee

I second mimosas and Bloody Mary’s. OP, for yourselves, you could have sparkling champaign for the toast!

You should talk to your venue and see what the cost would be for enough for 1-2 drinks per guest to keep costs low…I would definitely not ask about it on the invite though, and would forgo the cash bar.

Post # 34
    1701 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

I think it would be kind of crazy for your guests to expect you to provide alcohol when you and your Fiance cannot legally purchase it! That being said, I love MrsBuesleBee:  ‘s idea of a champagne toast.

Post # 35
    907 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I wouldn’t expect a 10 am wedding between two 20-year olds to have any alcohol–and I’m a brunch cocktail fan. 

Post # 36
    656 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

Some people drink with brunch, others don’t.  Since the people hosting the wedding (you and your FI) aren’t old enough to drink, I don’t think anyone would feel slighted if it wasn’t offered, especially given the time it’s being held.  And if they are, they can keep it to themselves.  You won’t be able to please everyone, so do what you feel comfortable with.

Post # 37
    5048 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2017

I don’t think a bar is necessary for a morning brunch but champagne for toasting and mimosas would be nice!

Post # 39
    607 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

Nothing wrong with having a dry wedding. It’s yall’s wedding and yall’s decision. I went to a friend’s AM wedding and they served mimosas. There was something interesting about AM weddings…my friend had brunch as well. I think it’s unique and intimate.

Post # 40
    267 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2016 - Cellar 222

I know people here despise cash bars but in this situation I think it makes sense. Not only is the wedding early but ya’ll are underage.

I don’t really agree with people who are saying that you should provide it for people who are underage because they probably drink in college. I get it but I would never advise anyone of putting themselves in the situation of being accused of providing booze to minors. That can turn ugly quick.

Post # 41
    81 posts
    Worker bee

BYOB. You guys can’t even drink yet so… 

Post # 42
    7425 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2013

With you being under age and the wedding taking place in the morning, I would probably be surprised to see alcohol.

Post # 43
    427 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

My sister is 24, having an late afternoon/early evening wedding and isn’t having any alcohol at all at the wedding. Not even champagne for toasting. Where as I am having a late evening wedding with an open bar. People have given her crap for not having alcohol and people have given me crap for having an open bar (apparently, this makes me look like a lush). Do what you want, what you can afford and what makes you happy – it’s your wedding – you can’t make everyone happy.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  svnnh09.
    Post # 44
    3223 posts
    Sugar bee

ohmygoodgollygosh:  it’s a wedding, not a democracy. If you ask people they will a) have an opinion and b) be really confused when they get there and it isn’t what they wanted.

listen. If you’re old enough to have a wedding, you’re old enough to make the decision to not have alcohol at it. End of story! 🙂

Post # 45
    324 posts
    Helper bee

ohmygoodgollygosh:  10 AM is sooo early. I don’t really get why your sister thinks it is rude. I would say go for it!

The topic ‘20 year Olds have a 10 am beach wedding but not serving alcohol. Rude or not?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors