(Closed) 20 year Olds have a 10 am beach wedding but not serving alcohol. Rude or not?

posted 4 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Rude or not? Cash bar or no?
    It's is rude, get a cash bar. : (18 votes)
    7 %
    It isn't rude, have a dry wedding. : (221 votes)
    89 %
    Tell them they can being their own boos : (10 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 46
    126 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

I went to a dry wedding once in KY on a Saturday night.  While the guests didn’t stay through the entire reception (they all ended up breaking off well after the obligatory wedding “events”) and no one seemed to mind.  Depending on where you live, dry weddings (for various reasons) aren’t all that uncommon.  

Do what you feel comfortable with. 

Post # 47
    645 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

Considering neither of you can legally drink I wouldn’t expect there to be alcohol! I had an afternoon tea reception and we had champagne for straight after the ceremony we also had an open bar too but no one ordered anything from it! If it’s not a drinking atmosphere people just don’t drink. 

Post # 48
    1000 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

I think it would be kind of silly for there to be a cash bar at a morning wedding hosted by two 20 year olds.  No one would expect that or need that. You have a 1yo – save that money and buy something nice for the three of you.

Post # 49
    1002 posts
    Bumble bee

A dry wedding for any reason is always acceptable.

Post # 50
    1352 posts
    Bumble bee

This is coming from someone who enjoys a drink at brunch and who would decline a dry (evening) wedding (unless the B&G were very close family): a dry wedding in your situation is perfectly acceptable. I wouldn’t expect underaged B&G to serve alcohol. Use that money for something more important! 

Post # 51
    5954 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2014

MIMOSAAAAAA!

Post # 52
    5224 posts
    Bee Keeper

ohmygoodgollygosh:  I think anyone who needs a drink that early in the day needs to reconsider their alcohol consumption. Maybe some champagne for Mimosas or a champagne toast? A full bar or even cash bar seems like over kill to me. Honestly, if I went to a wedding that early in the day, I probably wouldn’t drink even if it was free.

Post # 53
    419 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2016 - Muhlhauser Barn

i would say dry is totally fine!  I really dont think an open or cash bar is needed…i think the majority of people that would consume alcohol at that time of the morning would be mimosas or bloody marys.

I am having a breakfast menu too!  Mine is at dinner time though. We are having mimosas and beer and wine. If i were having it in the morning i would have cut out the beer and wine altogether.

Post # 54
    212 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

People will tell you what to do and what not to do. What’s right and what’s wrong. Just know that it’s YOUR wedding and you need to do what’s best for you. Plus you and your groom can’t even drink! 

My Fi and I are over 21 but we had to switch to a cash bar because we couldn’t afford the open bar we originally hoped for, if that’s “rude” than someone else can pay hundreds of dollars for it. We are also doing a brunch wedding and we figured not as many people would drink or would drink as much. There will still be plenty of other options for guests that are free – water, (deluxe) coffee bar, teas, juice, soda, and a champagne toast.

Plus your weddings guests are there for YOU AND YOUR FIANCEE NOT FREE BOOZE!

Post # 55
    3064 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

ohmygoodgollygosh:  I think in your case a dry wedding is ok seeing as it is early and you can’t even drink but there might be an option to pay for champagne by the bottle if people want a mimosa with brunch. Seeing as it is early people won’t be knocking them back so that could be a nice, affordable compromise

We had a mimosa bar at my sisters baby shower ( which was at 1030) some people had some, some didn’t, I dont think we went through more than 5 bottles for 40 people

Post # 56
    697 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

1) It’s 10 am!

2) You’re 20 years old.

3) Who cares? Just because you are hosting your guests at a reception doesn’t mean you have to cater to their every whim. They have the whole rest of the day to get hammered.

Post # 57
    697 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

sarasmirks:  How is having a dry wedding offering less hospitality? Food, drink and place to sit is all that is necessary. 

Post # 58
    243 posts
    Helper bee

I would go with a dry wedding. Neither of you are legal age yet, and it’s at 10 in the morning.  All that aside, it is a time to celebrate your marriage not to have a drinking party for the guests.  The focus should be on what is right for the couple.  You can certainly have a great wedding and reception sans alcohol.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile Photo theblondebee.
    Post # 59
    2394 posts
    Buzzing bee

I don’t think it’s rude at all for a 10am wedding, but I would definitely prefer to have a mimosa with brunch!

Post # 60
    2878 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

ohmygoodgollygosh: don’t ask on your invite! Just do consumption (bar keeps a running tab is your guests) or plan on ~2 pp over 21. 

But seriously, if your quote for alcohol is ~200$, it’s not a huge bar tab in the grand scheme of things. Just say yes and move on. 

The topic ‘20 year Olds have a 10 am beach wedding but not serving alcohol. Rude or not?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors