8037 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

Don’t change it!

Post # 18
4258 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

I would not alter this ring.  It is a true antique treasure.  I would just get a new ring if you do not love this one.

Post # 20
2031 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@adbritton:  I think it’s awesome and has such a cool history!!  I would not have it reset at all, personally, because it has lasted this long and just wouldn’t be the same.  If you don’t love it as an engagement ring, maybe you could switch it to your right hand later and get a blingy wedding band after you’re married?

Post # 21
6546 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

I think that ring is gorgeous the way it is, and I wouldn’t break up any piece with a 200 year history. I’m not big into looking at past threads, but I was just reading your other thread about the 200 year old brooch in your BF’s family. 

The problem with cluster rings

If both these pieces are in his family, I wouldn’t destroy either of them to make an e-ring. Perhaps you should choose a new ring and start your own jewelry related history in the family?

Post # 22
722 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@adbritton:  You sending that brooch off to be destroyed, and now contemplating destroying this piece is breaking my antique loving heart.

Post # 23
9544 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I think it is stunning. But I may be biased since I have an heirloom ring. But I wouldn’t rest it. Wear it as is or get a new ring. It would be a shame to alter it (other than basic sizing, of course).

Post # 24
6546 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

If you have already sent the brooch off to be made into a ring, why consider altering this ring at all?

Post # 25
Hostess
11165 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@echomomm:  I have to agree. This is killing me!

@adbritton:  I am curious what your Fiance and his family think about your resetting the heirloom brooch and e-ring. Are they really okay with it? For me  personally I find so much value in the historical significance of things, and heirloom jewelry is so precious. If you feel that you cannot appreciate it as is I would think the family might be better served to have you get something else that you do like so that their historical piece can remain intact. But then again maybe they don’t care at all?

Post # 26
280 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2016 - Highfield House, Stanley, Tasmania

It is gorgeous, and it would be an awful shame to have it reset or modified too much. At over 200 years old, it is a very precious antique and to change it too much would be destroying a piece of history. I agree with @echomomm:, if you don’t like how it is, perhaps start your own tradition? 

Please, respect such an ancient piece for what it is, and be proud to wear such a wonderful ring 🙂

Post # 28
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@adbritton:  I agree with pps! Please don’t reset it! It’s such an amazing ring with such an amazing history! It would be beautiful as a RHR if u don’t want it for an ering!

Post # 30
294 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

I think it is a beautiful piece. 

Post # 31
1920 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016 - Gorse Hill, Surrey, UK

It reminds me of a snowflake! I like it as it is, but I wouldn’t wear it as an e ring. Reset it could be gorgeous, so long as the family are ok with it, or just have it as a RHR? If you are buying an antique I agree I wouldn’t change it, but if it’s been passed down to you I don’t see why it should be a problem.

The topic ‘200 year old halo e-ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors