(Closed) 200 year old halo e-ring?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 32
Hostess
7556 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

I think it’s really beautiful as is. I’m not usually a fan of yellow gold but there’s so much coverage you can’t really see the metal. 

Post # 33
15 posts
Newbee

Great reply! I was so bothered by the comments to this thread, and am glad you shed more light on the situation. I really can’t believe some of the replies to this. I am from the bay area and went to law school at santa clara, just up the road from stanford. I was always awed by it, and wished i went there… BUT, it isn’t Buckingham Palace!.. Is it the Stanford history that is irking people..or just the age of it!? I don’t see why an unworn piece of jewelry (apparently one of many) given to a person in the family to do with as they wish, should result in such hostile, negative and frankly RUDE comments.

i hope you make the decision that is right for you!

best of luck,

a.

Post # 34
670 posts
Busy bee

@adbritton:  I’d like to see more pictures of this ring, I think it’s pretty as is.  I’d keep it as a RHR.  I read the other thread about the brooch.  it seems like this ring would complement your e-ring plan for a halo/cluster style ring with those old diamonds.  One on each hand 🙂

Are you planning to preserve the brooch even though you are using the diamonds from it?  You could set white sapphires or other gemstones in it and you would still have it more or less in tact, and not destroyed.

Post # 35
5884 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

Seems to special to reset.  I really like it.  These days I feel like everyone’s e-ring (including mine!) look the same.  I’d keep it as is and be proud that you are inheriting such a special heirloom.  Won’t it be special to pass it down to your daughter/DIL and she’ll be able to see the origional setting?

Post # 36
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

History or not, something that will just sit in a box instead of seeing the light of day is just as sad to me – you have your Future Mother-In-Law blessing to reset it and that also would open the door for future brides it was passed down to to be able to make it their own as well while still having such great stories!  Give it a great photo shoot before you reset it and keep enough details so it could be remade back to that if a future bride desired as well but then make them your own!

Post # 37
1443 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I think it’s crazy to dismantle a ring of this age and quality.  It’s an heirloom.

Post # 41
9595 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

@adbritton:  that brooch is amazing. Definitely put some CZs in there to replace the diamonds but keep the design!

Post # 44
280 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2016 - Highfield House, Stanley, Tasmania

@adbritton:  That’s a good compromise, I like your idea for the new setting. Just be careful selecting replacement stones for the brooch, as I know finding stones of that cut can be difficult. A good jeweller shoud be able to get them very similar though 🙂

For your new setting, I think some milgrain would look nice, or a carved band

Post # 45
2515 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I don’t like either of them. If the family has no problem with it, I would have no problem resetting the stones. It’s not like they belonged to Anne Boleyn or something.

Post # 46
670 posts
Busy bee

I really love that ring!  Thanks for posting more pics. 

I dont feel torn about the stones being removed from the brooch, those diamonds will get to see the light of day again and will make a gorgeous ring!  Post pics when it’s done please!

the brooch is pretty and can still be preserved so I think it’s a win-win!

The topic ‘200 year old halo e-ring?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors