(Closed) $2000 honeymoon budget–unreasonable?

posted 8 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
382 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

i don’t think it’s unreasonable! have you thought about going some place that is all inclusive? that would cut down on extra meals out, but would not tie you down from getting out & exploring. check out expedia.com — they do vacation packages and you can find some great prices & locations!

Post # 4
2858 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Bartram's Garden

DEFINITELY skip the agent. You could totally book something for $2k if you do it yourself. Check Expedia, Orbitz and the other travel sites.

What about a trip to the Florida Keys? I’m sure you could do that within your budget.

ETA: Or you could go to Savannah. They have a beach – Tybee Island – and the city is so beautiful with a lot to do. Very romantic.

Post # 5
102 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

That is our honeymoon budget too!  We’re driving to Florida & going to Disney.  Have you thought about trying to rent a condo for the week?  You can find some great prices out there!  P.S. We’re skipping the travel agent.

Post # 6
1288 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Indiana Memorial Union

I’d skip the agent too. You should be able to find a lot of great options for that much. It’s sort of an offseason in Florida in July because of the summer afternoon showers and hurricane season, so that might be a good option for you two. The showers don’t last long, by the way!

We’re doing Palm Springs for under 2,000 in June. We found hotel rates under $100 at a luxury hotel, just because it’s also their offseason.

Post # 7
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

No, no, no, no, no. Dont use a travel agent you are just wasting your money. My husband  and I went to an all inclusive beach resort Jolly beach in Antigua, in the Carribean for just $1400, including, airfare, all you can eat and drink and room. This was for a full 7 days, great staff, activities everyday and entertainment everynight. Sun, sand, pools, beach. They had beach volleyball, pool volleyball, learning the samba, then they had entertainment everynight. It was awesome. We travelled march $1400 for 2 of us. Money to spare for a catamaran ride around the island and snorkeling. Different restaurants you eat included, buffet dinners to choose from all included in the $1400 for 2. We travelled March 2009. The best trip of my life -where my hubby proposed 🙂

We paid something more for our honeymoon at $2400 for all inclusive beach resort, 7 days, airfare, room, all you can drink alcohol, all you can eat buffets. Our resort closed and we were upgraded to a 5 star resort Sandals beach resort at St,. Lucia in the Carribean. We travelled September 2009.

Check out CheapCarribean.com; make sure it’s adult only no children so you dont have children playing around ruining your ambience. I will PM you. http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/

Please dont use a travel agent, you will get ripped off. you can easily travel for 2 outside the US for less than $2000, Just do your own legwork, my hubby and I travel all the time and can find roundtrip flights to Europe for $450 each. So depends on what you want and if you are willing to do your own legwork.  Why stay in the US when you have the opportunity to do something exotic especially on your honeymoon,

Good luck! 

Post # 8
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Skip the agent, if she’s trying to say you can’t take a vacation for under $2000 she’s either out of touch with reality or intentionally trying to get you to spend more.

Are you open to driving?  We’re driving from PA to SC and staying in Charleston for 5 days, 4 nights.  The hotel is about $700 and it’s probably the nicest place I’ll have ever been to.  So you could totally do a little cheaper hotel for longer if you want.  Then the only things we need to pay for beyond that is gas and food/events.  If you guys just want to relax on a beach somewhere, I bet you could do it for $1000, and could totally do it in style for $2000.

Post # 9
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

How long are you looking to go for? I think you could get some really good deals ifyou went for five days instead of seven. Depending on how much airfare is, Cancun has some really good hotel deals. I second what someone else said about the keys. If you fly into Miami and rent a car, you can probably get a good deal.

Post # 10
2634 posts
Sugar bee

Fiance and I are going to Kauai for 12 nights for $2200.  This included our rental car and plane tickets and a 4 star hotel.  Check out Expedia, maybe you can find a great deal too (even if you only stayed for 7 nights you’d still have an awesome time!).

Post # 11
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My Fiance and I have the same budget and I found an incredible place. If you were to travel to Vietnam, the flights there for two people run around $1600. A night at a 5 star hotel runs about $30 a night. Massages are $5 for an hour or two and handmade clothing run about $10-$50 ($50 being a suit).

The waters there are clear and the beaches are amazing. Food is cheap and fresh. You can get a 5 course top notch dinner for $25. Otherwise street food runs about $1, but no more than $5

I am even having my Priscilla of Boston type of dress made over in Vietnam for $50 instead of paying $3k here.

All in all, you are able to have a magnificant honeymoon for 2k!

[attachment=915328,113251]

Post # 12
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Check out elkspringresorts.com; they are luxury cabin rentals in Gatlinburg Tennessee (in the Smoky Mountains). D and I are going there on our honeymoon for a week and are paying about $1200 total. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about the resort (both from people we know and online).

Good Luck!! But $2000 is tooootally doable. Just keep looking…

ETA: I just saw you were from Nashville, so you may want to leave ‘home’, lol.

Post # 13
2820 posts
Sugar bee

Definately skip the agent.  We’ve taken amazing trips to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and Mexico for less than $2000 including airfare.  Our Puerto Rico trip was only about $1000, maybe just slightly over, including airfare (total for us not per person) for 6 days but granted we were camping some.

Post # 14
1561 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

it really depends…we haven’t set an actual “budget” – and we are DRIVING from here in indiana to myrtle beach.

not sure 100% yet where we are staying -but i KNOW we won’t spend $2,000 for the week.

a lot of travel agents, i’ve seen, try to scare you into thinking “oh you can’t do ANYTHING for less than $3k – $4k for a honeymoon!

but it IS possible.

Post # 15
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I totally agree with everyone on this board, when you do your own legwork you can totally go to a beautiful place outside of the US, it’s your honeymoon, do something exotic!!!

Post # 16
16 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

skip the agent! my fi and i were looking at honeymoon options and all-inclusives in mexico are around $2000 or even less! and that’s for airfare, food, drink, hotel for 7 days!

The topic ‘$2000 honeymoon budget–unreasonable?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors