(Closed) $200/night w/ 2-night minimum?!? Thanks a lot.

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1207 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

That’s outrageous!  How do they expect anyone to attend their wedding if nobody can afford the hotel?  I hope they don’t expect a gift on top of that $400+!

Post # 4
2474 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’ve been to a wedding in Nantucket, and all of the hotels there cost an arm and a leg and had minimum two night stays also.  We paid nearly $300 a night for a hotel there and it was a total dump.  Not to mention the cost of getting a ferry over to the island and back.  Of course there was also the cost of plane tickets from Philly to Boston.

It is what it is, I guess.  I suppose they feel that if anyone doesn’t want to spend the money to attend their wedding, then so be it.

Post # 5
14185 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

2-night minimum?! Why the hell would you stay two nights if it’sf or a wedding?

Ugh. Is there anyone you guys can share a room with? $200/night is a TON of money. I have never spent that kind of money on a hotel (business aside and I didn’t pay!) because it’d have to be 5 star first class and I’d have to have won the lottery

How far away is it? Is there absolutely ZERO other choices? even a motel 6 or something???

I’m one of those people who think it’s relatively inconsiderate to make your guests stay at super expensive places b/c you picked a weird location. Plus, couldn’t they have bargained with the hotel, stating it was a wedding and only 1 night was necessary??

Post # 6
4001 posts
Honey bee

That is ridiculous!  I’d be so pissed.  I bet they’re going to have a lot less guests than they’d like to have.  Not everyone can comfortably spend that much.  And, most people wouldn’t need to be there for 2 nights, that’s just wasted money.  It sounds like they didn’t even consider their guests, kinda dumb.

Post # 7
3125 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

It depends on the hotel. Is it during a special weekend? that’s why they may have a 2 day minimum. Is it a local chain? you can always call and book 2 nights, and if it’s a hilton or something, go in online and change your reservation to 1 night. that’s one way out of it. I think 200 a night is pricey, but not unheard of. If the place is a dump, then you should get upset. but i think you are just mad in general about this wedding – if you guys are going to go, just make the best of it. Or don’t go, and don’t worry about the hotels and logistics. You would be upset if they were on here saying the same about your hotel!

Post # 8
2207 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Its obnoxious, but sometimes a necessary evil. We went to a wedding this past summer that was like $250 a night with a 2 night minimum. Talk to the hotel though, they were willing to let us out of that minimum.

Post # 9
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

wow. yeah i have been to a few weddings like that – we ended up sharing a room with two other couples one time, and just ended up not drinking at the other and leaving early for the other. ugh

very inconsiderate. we didnt really have the $$ to pay for a gift for the couple either – so i hope they love crappy gifts.

Post # 10
2634 posts
Sugar bee

Wow – that is crazy!!!  Yeah, I’d be a little mad too. 

Post # 11
1385 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

One of the resorts we booked a block at is $165/night which is considerably cheaper than it usually is [$225] but we also have a hotel block at a hotel that’s about $100/night so we have two price points. I think that’s what most people should do especially when one is considerably pricier. The only reason why we’re recommending the more expensive one: it’s walking distance [think 20 feet] to the wedding and reception.

Post # 13
1763 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Maybe is you guys find a hotel a ways away, you could share some kind of transportation with other couples who would want to stay at a cheaper place too!

Post # 14
233 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

This is my problem too: the closest accommodations (a really cute inn) require a 2-night minimum to get the group rate…

But just don’t book as part of the room block and you can book your 1 night at the regular rate!

That’s what I’m advising people to do who don’t want to stay 2 nights.

Post # 15
3252 posts
Sugar bee

Wow. With every post I read about this guy, he comes more and more of a jerk.

Post # 16
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I don’t think $200 is that bad. We intentionally decided to get married at a hotel in the city to make it easier for our guests who will all be from Out of Town. The rate for the 5-star hotel is usually over $350 for a night in June, but we negotiated them down to $200 for our guests. So for us, $200 is a deal. There’s also no minimum and our rooms are free regardless of filling the block. Guests have already booked their rooms and thanked us up and down for getting such a good rate.

But we obviously also blocked another nearby hotel with a $140/night rate for guests who think $200 is too much. And there are hundreds of hotels within a 10-block radius including Club Quarters which I think is only about $80/night.

In your case, I hope the bride is prepared to have people RSVP with regrets b/c of the cost OR not get gifts from guests who are cash-strapped due to the hotel..

The topic ‘$200/night w/ 2-night minimum?!? Thanks a lot.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors