(Closed) 2010 Brides: After the wedding how did you do on your budget?

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

1. How did you do on your budget?

Pretty well. We had a small, mostly family wedding in a beautiful historic home/park.

2. Did you go over? By how much?

We didn’t go over per se. We originally planned for half the amount, thinking we were paying ourselves. Our parents informed us, however, that they wanted to help, so we actually ended up with twice the original set amount (although it was still relitively small, so don’t get That excited.) =-)

3. If you stayed on budget or under, how did you do it?

DIY, local vendors and a good bit of luck. Do it yourself: We used an invitation kit we bought at Michaels and printed them out. Same with our programs. The centerpieces were also a do it yourself project. When you can, skip paying the store and do it yourself!  Local vendors:  When you’re not paying for shipping, you save a bundle! We have some beautiful Mennonite farms nearby, and one had a green house where they sold flowers. We ordered 12 burgandy mums and lined the aisle with them. It was stunning (and at $60, massive cheap!) Pumpkins for the centerpieces and Indian corn were also picked up at a local farm! Luck Use what talents you have (and don’t be shy to ask for help!) Many of our relatives are very creative and/or talented. Right away we had our photographer, bouquet florist and even some of our catering set. If something wasn’t outright offered as a gift, it was heavily discounted. No way would we have ended up right on budget without this good sense!

4. How do you think you did overall: what you spent over the wedding you had?

Given the amount I know we saved, I think we did pretty fair. It was a small, country wedding with a beautiful backdrop. It was simple and meaningful. Okay, it wasn’t a 150,000 wedding, but it was not cheesey in the slightest sense.  There are some changes I’d make now, but I think that comes with the experience.

5. Knowing what you know now, would you allocate your budget differently?

I was shocked with how much a tent cost–and it took some last minute scrambling to find one that was decent. I’d allocate more time and resoureces to this, maybe go up another step and have ordered one with more detail and decoration to the tent itself. I’d order less food (we had SO many leftovers) but pay more attention to the detail of how it was presented-it was simple and pretty enough, but could have been truly elegant.  Finally, I would have hired a DOC, without any doubt. Things would have been a lot more calm!

Hope that helps!

Post # 5
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

1. How did you do on your budget (no need to share you acutal budget #)?
Not bad at all,

2. Did you go over? By how much? Again no need to share actual #, perhaps a percentage is a good way to be relative.
Yes, we did go over, roughly 20% or so.

3. If you went over what tipped you over? If you stayed on budget or under, how did you do it?
We ended up with more RSVP’s that we had anticipated.  Obviously that changed the price of our linens, centerpieces, food, and bar.  But we recouped a little because we didn’t go through all of the alcohol, and we had an error in our linens that ended up with us getting a refund.

4. How do you think you did overall: What you spent vs the wedding you had?
Overall I was really happy with what we spent.  We had a New Years Eve wedding for 225 for under $6,000.

5. Knowing what you know now would you allocate your budget differently?
I loved our caterer, but hated our venue.  They stressed me out more than any single aspect.  We didn’t choose an all-inclusive venue, so I had to worry about finding all of the vendors seperately.  This was stressful.  Part of me wishes I had chosen somewhere where everything was included, but then my budget would probably be shot, LOL.

The topic ‘2010 Brides: After the wedding how did you do on your budget?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors